Sunday, January 31, 2010

Getting out my red pen

I am a critical person. Maybe it's the teacher in me, or I'm just a snob, but I notice spelling and grammar errors. And I seem to notice them everywhere. The most offensive are those from commercial sources. I figure those wishing to make me part with my money should prove to be capable of using it. And sometimes I just assume that the ad or offer is just plain fraudulent if the writing is bad.

I don't usually say much about what I come across online. I especially "play nice" when it comes to casual interaction or any personal blogs. I know spelling and grammar are not every person's strength. I am not perfect, either. But, I am neurotic about it enough to grab a dictionary or check dictionary.com if I'm not sure about my own spelling. Truthfully, I haven't wanted to offend good friends by criticizing their writing. It's just not that important.

That being said, I don't think it would hurt anyone to check into when to use than vs. then or knowing when their is better than they're or there. A really common one is your against you're. So much fun. :)

Anyway, I bring this up because I was browsing my local Craigslist tonight. That is a great place to look for spelling and grammar problems. Some people type too fast. Some people don't proof read after editing. Some people are just missing certain skills. I came across one last week that apparently never learned how to use the word our and resorted to are instead. It was a bit of a challenge to understand what the person was saying at first. Someone else said "in a half" instead of "and a half." There are a lot of shelfs for sale on Craigslist. I could go on. This would be a great source of (bad) examples for a high school English teacher to use in class!

And then there are the ones like this:

Wanted: I need a a girl front faceing car set

i am looking for a car set for my little girl she is out growing her new born car set if you have one that is in great condition not been in a reack please sennd me a picture and let me know how much i cant afforward very much

Is this real? I have to think that this person is actually very smart to make it look like she's so illiterate...therefore (assumably) poor and needy = please take pity on her and give her a car seat. Unless she really does want a set of cars...not likely, though.

This makes me extra determined that my kids pae attention and doo well in skule!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that's really special! I try to contain myself from correcting people in public, but when a coworker said "irregardless" for the third time a week ago, I said something. I find the best mistakes on the comment boards at MSN. I refuse to have my opinions swayed by people who cannot write correctly. Fingernails on a chalkboard. Eeek!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the visual of this woman's little girl out in the garden, growing a whole set of cars.

    Have you ever read the blog "You Suck at Craigslist?" Some of the posts are a bit racy, but most are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a really bad speller! But I am not that bad!

    ReplyDelete