Thursday, January 28, 2010

Helping the Economy

This was the last question on Nathan's Daily Language Review worksheet yesterday. He got it wrong, but maybe he got it right.


If the government gave the money to the people to spend, instead of obscure and questionably existing entities, we could make sure the economy really does get a boost. Imagine if the only motivation we needed to buy a new car was a flat tire!

My refrigerator has tape holding the bottom shelf of the door in place. I should go get a new one! (It would save me $$ on my power bill, so it's a doubly good idea.) My computer got a virus...clean, new computer, please. There's a rip in my sofa's fabric. It definitely needs to go!

I understand that this may put a big strain on landfills and the general health of the planet, but I choose not to acknowledge certain possible problem areas (still in line with gov't spending). And think of the jobs this could create...people to go around and flatten your tires (while inserting a stimulus check under your windshield wiper) so that you'd have a valid reason for the new purchase. Then the doctors would even benefit because we'd all get sick from the "new car smell" fumes we'd constantly be inhaling.

It really is a genius plan, and I give all the credit to my soon-to-be 8-year-old.

Maybe this post is really to help me feel better about the new washing machine we're 80% ready to purchase on Saturday. In my defense, our washer is 18 years old this year and STINKY. We repaired it once about 9 years ago. Part of me thinks that "stinky" is the same as a flat tire. But we're helping the economy, minus the stimulus check.

I wonder if Nathan's teacher thought his answer was a reflection of our lifestyle? If she's seen the holes in his knees (I keep telling him NOT to wear those to school), or noticed that he wears the same jeans the entire week (also something he doesn't hear me mention), then she probably thinks he just picked the wrong answer.

1 comment: