Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Sorry cookies

If you're expecting this to be a post glorifying another kitchen disaster, you're wrong. But your assumption would not be unfounded. I do have plenty of those stories that have made it into my blog.

This post is a story of Leah and her little friend who is over today. They've been playing together since they got home from school about 3 hours ago. Lunch went fine and they played for a long time before any feelings got hurt. Then it happened.

Leah: I'm six and you're five. (I imagine this was said with at least a hint of superiority.)
Friend: Well, my birthday is blah, blah, blah. (She didn't say blah, blah, blah; I just can't remember what her b-day is now.)

Then Leah comes upstairs and announces her friend is being rude and replays the conversation for me. Leah wouldn't admit that her original statement might have started the problem and insisted on being offended at the tone in which her friend replied.

Five to ten minutes later, I hear Leah yelling and a door slams. Hmm...maybe I should step in and be a parent here before we send this little girl home with emotional and/or physical scars. At this point, I'm thankful for Rebekah who continues to play happily and gives me an opportunity to talk with my deeply troubled six-year-old.

I tried to explain to Leah that her friend might not have felt very good when Leah made a point of telling her she was younger. Maybe her response was a way to try to stand up for herself. I have to pause mid-sentence several times to make sure Leah can actually hear me over her crying. I'm trying not to think of the cold tears that are dripping all over my arm. (How caring of a parent does that make me?)

Eventually we come up with a plan to make up over cookies. Leah took 3 packages of cookies upstairs with a plan to say, "I'm sorry. I still want to be your friend." I listened at the bottom of the stairs, but only heard that she was talking - not what she was actually saying. It must have worked out OK, because I recently heard laughing (the fun kind).

Oy...boys are a lot less emotional! This girl thing is going to be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Kaitlyn and her friend, that is a year older, constantly yell. "I hate you! You are never coming to my house again!" and then the next week they are begging to play with each other. GIRLS!

    ReplyDelete