Monday, January 04, 2010

Happy Birthday, Leah!

Leah turned 6 on Saturday. She had been looking forward to her special day and was making several wishes out loud. She was really hoping there would be a strong horse theme!

I don't know if it's because the mother in me wanted to please my little girl or the little girl in me remembers how it is to love horses, but I tried to make her day happy.

I spent a bit of time on the cake top the night before. We'd had friends over earlier in the night, so I got started on it a little later than normal. I didn't think it turned out too bad. She liked it.


Our family has learned that hair burns quickly and without warning. Leah knows to hold her hair back!

She really enjoyed cutting and serving up the cake. This is a birthday privilege in our family. Eventually, I'll expect them to cut and serve themselves all the time. (I'm really going to enjoy that!)


I had a little porcelain carousel horse that was given to me before Leah was even born. I'd never gotten it out of the box until a few weeks ago. It doesn't do anything, but there is a music box in the base that plays "Camelot." She liked it enough to kiss it on the way up to her room. She ended up with a little bit of glitter on her face for it. :)

She got socks and underwear. Horse theme not included.

The kids picked out a stuffed horse for her. It's huge (bigger than Joseph) and soft. It only cost $10, so I was happy. We threw in a horse coloring book for more fun. A few other toys and clothes and Leah was a happy six-year-old.

Leah has REALLY been enjoying kindergarten this year. She's starting to read from the scriptures with us at night. She likes to follow along with her finger in my hymn book at church.

Leah is a great big sister and her "children" know she loves them. Sometimes they are hard to carry around, but she doesn't give up.

Leah is not all hugs and cheery smiles. This girl has a stubborn streak a mile wide and some kind of switch that flips with little or no notice. When Leah gets hurt, the whole county knows it. If she's crying to get someone in trouble, she seems to trying out for a position with the opera. Leah does NOT like to ride in the car very long.

Leah is very sensitive to the dynamics of friendships and we often hear about what happens between her and her school friends. That's a very bumpy ride!

Leah has a beautiful smile. She is our favorite Leah and we enjoy watching her enjoy life.

1 comment: