Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Youth is dead

Rebekah had a burning question this afternoon. She asked me if I died when I was a kid. I said of course I didn't die or I wouldn't be alive now, would I? She could see the logic in that (I think) but after the conversation went on a little further, I realized what she had really been asking.

She wanted to know if the KID died. She isn't able to make a connection between childhood and adulthood. After all, it's not like I'm a butterfly and went through a complete rebirth! I told her that I just changed slowly as I got older. I'm not sure she really understood. But then I started pondering her question.

I'm sure a part of me has died since I was a child. The innocence is gone. The wide-scale trust is gone. Much of the wonder is gone. Some of the naivete is gone (much still remains). In some ways I mourn the losses. The scriptures tell us to be more childlike. I have strayed far from that and would like to regain some of the purity and joy that comes with childhood.

But in other ways, I'm glad for the maturity that protects me from the incredible evil that thrives in the world and even my small community. I am often stunned at the hold Satan has got on people and the way he has of using these people to try to shame others into joining them. Truly, this can't go on much longer. Don't worry about unplugging your toaster to save energy and prevent the earth's resources from running out...it won't get that far before evil takes over or Christ returns to do a serious housecleaning!

So after thinking along these lines, I'm less worried about my youth being dead as I am about my children's youth being murdered. They are so young and inexperienced. I hope that our efforts as parents here at home will give them the protection they need to reach adulthood as healthy, happy people - physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually.

Wow. This post totally changed sentiment as I typed! I thought I was going to be witty and comical and ended up charging up my testimony. Go Freedom of Speech!

3 comments:

  1. You Go Girl!!! That is profound and would make a wonderful Sacrament meeting talk. More people should hear this reasoning and maybe their priorities in life would change.

    Love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a very intuitive question that she asked. Thanks for giving me something to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmmmm... Maybe you just wrote my sacrement meeting talk! LOL!! I do have to talk about primary in a couple weeks... I love your thoughts keep thinking!

    ReplyDelete