Friday, November 20, 2009

Shaken Baby

Before my nap I had the house phone and my cell phone on the bed with me. I also had Sarah on the bed.

Eventually, Sarah woke up and wanted a snack before she'd go back to sleep. I finally got her to sleep again, including positioning her just right on Chad's pillow, tucking in the bedding around her and even putting my pillow on her (not her face!).

Then I started looking for my cell phone because I wanted to make a long-distance phone call. I could find the house phone, but no cell phone. I knew it was there somewhere! I kept patting the covers, feeling around and under and even peeking in the spaces by Sarah. I finally gave up the blind searching and decided to use my ears, too. I called the cell phone with the house phone. I could hear it vibrate, then I heard it ring. It appeared that Sarah could hear it, too, because she started to wiggle. Oh no! I don't want that! So I hung up and renewed my search efforts.

I concentrated my search closer to Sarah since it was obviously close to her. The more invasive I got, the more worried I was that she'd wake up. Off came the pillow, back came one blanket, then the next, then the sheet. Well no wonder she'd started wiggling as soon as the phone started to vibrate; she was on top of it! There's nothing like a soothing massage in the small of a baby's back to ensure a restful afternoon nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment