Thursday, May 29, 2008

Flying with Joseph

That kind of sounds like "Tuesdays with Morrie" but not nearly as likely to find a broad readership.

So it's been mentioned that Kristy would like to hear about Joseph's flying experience and Autumn would like to know about the trip. This should satisfy Kristy and whet Autumn's appetite!

I have flown with all of my children at some point. Some of those were just the two of us and some were with Daddy. I prefer the latter as flying with someone that has to be held the entire time gets pretty tiring. In Joseph's opinion, being held all the time is more than tiring...it's torture.

We had 3 legs of our trip: 2 one way, 1 on the way back. The first flight was about 40 minutes long...once we got on the plane and in the air. I flew Horizon. Not a bad airline. They're even better when their dispatch computers are on line and passenger lists along with whatever other paperwork is need for each flight are accessible. Without some key papers, the planes are grounded. The entire Horizon fleet was grounded...as were Mommy and baby. Luckily, our connecting flight was also grounded, so we didn't have to worry about that. We finally boarded about the time we were supposed to be landing.

Joseph flew pretty well. He slept while we waited in the terminal so he was bright-eyed for the trip. We sat next to a young woman who wasn't rude but preferred to keep to herself. I had the aisle seat so that gave me lots of room with Joseph. Part way through the flight I notice that Joseph's diaper is full and his clothes are starting to feel wet. Well, I certainly can't take him to the only bathroom on the plane. Where would I put him? I can't just plop his head down on the girl next to me. And there is no way I'm putting him down in the aisle. So I changed him while he sat upright in my lap. Yes, be amazed. I have talents I never expected! I was fortunate that he was only wet. It would have been a whole other set of challenges if he had been messy.

I wadded the wet diaper up and shoved it into my empty drink cup and discreetly put it into the trash during one of the collection rounds. I had to grin later when they said they were making their last pass through the cabin and would be collecting the trash, "regardless of its contents." If only they knew.

It was about the time of the last collection that Joseph started to cause problems. He was tired of being held and was getting hungry. I tried all sorts of things, but to no avail. He had the whole plane's attention by the time we landed. He did take a startled interest in the big bump as the plane touched down, but it was a passing fancy.

We de-boarded: me, Joseph, the diaper bag and carry on. We had to go down the steps, across the tarmac and into the airport (small planes don't get nice gates). I asked the woman at the desk if I had time to feed the baby before the connecting flight boarded. She assured me that I did. Joseph is a fast eater. Almost not fast enough as I was loading back up again while they called the last 3 passengers to board the plane. My name was among them.

We went through the door, out to the tarmac and back onto the VERY SAME PLANE!!! Now why couldn't I have just stayed on the plane? I was sitting diagonal across the aisle from my last seat. Thanks a lot, Horizon!

This leg was 1 hour 10 minutes long and Joseph kept me busy near the end again. He was so tired and only wanted to snuggle into his crib...which I would have packed if I could. I kept tipping him upside-down into the aisle and then back up again. That crazy kid likes to be up ended. For a while there, the dipping up and down was putting him to sleep. (And wearing out my arms at an alarming rate.)

We finally got off the plane and into Kristi's car where he immediately went soundly to sleep. Whew! My lap was finally free!

This is where I would tell you about the visit, but will save for the next post. Sorry, Autumn!

The flight back was only an hour. (I flew into Boise to meet up with the rest of the family for a family reunion). We were very fortunate to have several empty seats on the flight so I got both seats to myself. It was handy for wrangling Joseph. He had a really good nap for the bulk of the flight, but lost his patience at the end again and became quite loud. I felt it a little bit of pay back for the couple that kept kissing in the two seats in front of me. It's fine with me if you want to kiss, but don't do it right in the seat opening where I have to see it EVERY time!

And that is my experience flying with Joseph. It is not for the weak. I am weak. (Except for that awesome diaper change!)

5 comments:

  1. It is crazy flying on a plane with a baby by yourself - I've done it a few times myself! Congrats on the diaper change - that's always difficult and a bit awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you made it. I would have kicked the chair in front of you while they were kissing. You must be super mommy to change a diaper like that. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to hear about your trip too! heh heh

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer traveling myself and one baby to traveling with myself and 2 or with the entire family. Although my preference is to just fly with Steve (although we've only done this once).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You give the best stories, Arlyn!

    You brought me back tot he days when my husband worked for America West Airline. We flew for free and Conner, my oldest, had been on more then 100 flights before he turned one year old! when baby number 2 and 3 came along we flew a lot less. But I've flown with 3 kids...alone a few times. I have a arsenal of stories!

    I'm glad you made it safely though. And besides you're aching arms- I'm sure you'd agree it was worth the extra numbness to hanf out with Kristi. ;)

    The upright diaper change is just cool!

    ReplyDelete