Saturday, February 02, 2008

Happy Birthday, Nathan!

Nathan's a big SIX today! Actually, he's not big at all, but we'll go for the feeling and not the measuring tape.

We already went out for his b-day dinner last night since tomorrow is Fast Sunday. He chose Subway. Go figure. Why can a person not avoid smelling like onions when spending time in a Subway restaurant?

I made Nathan's cake during the week. I assembled it last night. Nathan says that he wants to be a Mailman when he grows up. So I decided to put a mailman on his cake. Do you know how hard it is to find a decent picture of a mailman? I learned how to make the design from Amber. It didn't turn out too badly, considering it was my first try and I was using available frostings.




Nathan got an ant farm, K'Nex (thanks Grandma), 2 Book of Mormon figures and some plastic "cowboys and indians" for his birthday. We're excited to get the ants. The K'Nex are already clipped together into several creations.


We had a little project accomplished today. I wanted to turn a closet door into a message board and we bought chalkboard paint for it. My friend's sister made me the vinyl for it. Now I just need some chalk. We're going to paint a board for the kids downstairs. Maybe that way they'll leave me some space on the door!



Joseph is changing so much. He is starting to laugh and squeal. Remember how he used to HATE getting his diaper changed? Now he is the happiest when he put him down on the changing table. I was joking that our family was assigned a "Changing Table Angel" to save us from the inevitable meltdowns. I'm not sure it didn't really happen!

He's also stopped being so cranky at night. I haven't been enjoying my wheat bread. I may try some again to see if that's what it really was.

Still trying to figure out my crazy colon. I need to be flushed out (there's a REALLY bad pun in there!).

The weather continues to be cold and unhospitable. School was cancelled yesterday for the 3rd time this month. We had a night above freezing earlier in the week and then it dropped back into the low 20's the next day. So all the parking lots are sheets of ice. Our driveway suffered the same fate. Don't visit us if you aren't steady on your feet. We don't have enough money for a lawyer.

The 14 Days of Valentine's have started yet again. This year, Chad gets a german chocolate cupcake each day, with the day's number in chocolate on top. (Like the one on Nathan's cake above.) Additionally, something different is planned each day. This afternoon, the kids and I worked on something for him for tomorrow. This is the 9th year I've done this. I had no idea what I was starting that first year! My friend is doing it for her husband for the 2nd year.

2 comments:

  1. 14 days of Valentines! What are you thinking! Didnt you just get over 31 in 31! I love that cake! I hope Nathan had a great birthday. I love your chalk board idea, I may have to steal that one sometime. Have you tried Mirilax yet? or Activia yogurt? let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the cake!! I'm glad you tried it out! Happy birthday to Nathan! I love the chalkboard- and exclamation points!!!

    ReplyDelete