Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'm so far behind!

Because I was trying to find time to type my 300th post, I kept putting other posts off and now my head is backed up with things I've wanted to share.


We've been working on a few projects around the house. A big project was getting Joseph out of our bedroom where he slept in the bassinet, and into the girls' room to sleep in the crib. Unfortunately, the girls' room is pretty small so we resorted to stacking the girls. Chad made a loft bed for Leah and we put Rebekah underneath. It was a tight fit, but we got the crib and another dresser in there. I'm extra glad that we don't keep toys in the bedrooms. There wouldn't be any room for kids if there were toys!


I recently made bread. It was not a good day for bread...as you can see. I learned a little bit about ovens, temps and yeast that day. The next day, I tried a different recipe. I learned a little bit more about ovens and temps. I am willing to post my failures to keep myself from feeling too awesome. But I have to say...even though they look horrible, they tasted WONDERFUL! I just won't be submitting these to any baking competitions.






One of the things that made me sad to leave our old house was vinyl that I had up on the walls. We finally replaced one of the things I had to leave behind...our talent wall. And this time we were able to add Joseph's frame, although it will be some time before I expect him to contribute something. I love walking by this wall (which I do countless times a day) and seeing the kids' creativity. (For instance, Nathan's picture is a truck driving into a car wash.) The phrase above the pictures is from the parable of the talents in the New Testament.





And something that has been a work-on-it-when-I-get-a-chance project is the girls' Easter dresses. I finished them Thursday night (but took the picture before that). Leah's is the purple, Rebekah's the blue. Pay no mind to the quilt on the frame behind them. I've decided that it looks so good there, it's now decoration and not actually an unfinished project. And with that decision, I am free of so much unfair guilt.



I have other things to share next time...FHE/St. Patrick's Day and Easter activities (still frozen from the community egg hunt this morning...20 degrees!) Our family gets to be the Easter program in church tomorrow. How did we ever get so lucky? The kids' talks are written and we've been practicing "He Sent His Son" since last Sunday. I still have to form my thoughts into a decent message. We're trying something new this year and inviting the Easter bunny to stop by our house today instead of Sunday, so we can put more emphasis on the spiritual meaning of the holiday. I'll let you know how it works out for us. So far, E. Bunny has not shown up!


Chad and the kids are outside with the neighbor who just put 3 calves in our pasture. Everyone is excited to put one more foot into country living. And though he probably wouldn't admit it, Chad is likely the most excited of everyone.


So Happy Easter everyone! We'll play more catch-up a little later.



It only took me 3 hours to finish this post.

5 comments:

  1. I love the dresses and the quilt. Good job on the bed Chad! David wants a loft bed so he can play under it. I am so sorry about your bread. I am so glad that you are human! It was cold this morning but I liked the sun. Good luck with the cows. I cant wait to hear more.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful dresses!!! I wish I could sew like that - but those straight lines... they don't go so well for me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arlyn, Loved your blog, as usual. Will love seeing everyone this weekend. Would have come up to church to listen to your program, if we had known. Your wall looks wonderful, as does the dresses and the new bed.

    See you soon, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm super impressed at Chad's skilz. I can't believe he made a bed! I guess we'll know it's structurally sound right?

    Good job on the dresses- the quilt looks beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for stopping by-- i love the art, i am an artist and i have shelves with all our boys art on them lining my playroom walls and our family values all framed below it.

    ReplyDelete