Monday, April 11, 2011

Rose, Spots, Calvin and Grain (?)

OK...here are the pictures from the kids' first time feeding the calves. We went out after dinner last night and braved some wind and cooler temps. I don't think the kids even noticed the weather.

New calves have always seemed so tiny to me as I've driven past them on the road. There is not so much about these fellas that makes them seem tiny when you're standing next to them! They are huge! But when they stumble and end up in a heap on the ground, it's a reminder that they are still babies. (One of these calves still has his umbilical cord.)

Here, we have Rebekah and Spots. Spots is Leah's cow.


After Leah fed Spots, Spots was very interested in Leah!
Yes, we have a black and white dog. And, yes, it got confusing out there with all of them running around!


Nathan had fun feeding his calf. Ironically, Nathan has the biggest one. And it not shy about getting something to eat. Nathan insists that his name is Calvin. I think Brutus is much more fitting.

Leah seems to think that the calves are really big kittens. She can't cuddle them enough! Here is Leah draped over Calvin and Rebekah is loving her calf...Rose.

Daniel's calf seems pretty sweet to me...if that's possible. Daniel keeps saying that the calf's name is Grain. Grain? Why not Rock? Or Wood? Chad and I may keep calling it L. Tom Perry. We can't stop laughing over that one.

And if these pictures make it seem easy to feed a calf, you may find these videos entertaining! I had to do two videos because a calf started chasing me while I was making the first one. (I was still in my skirt from church and was vainly trying to stay clean!)




The boys went out at 6:30 this morning to feed all four calves by themselves. I don't know how easy it was for them, but they came in with empty bottles, so it must have been some sort of a success!

We'll be bottle feeding for the next two months. Come on by if you'd like to have the experience. We're hoping to get some lambs in the next couple of weeks. That will be more bottles!

2 comments:

  1. This makes me tired reading it. I'm impressed by your ability to have so many people and things going on at once!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just watched the videos. Those are awesome.

    ReplyDelete