Thursday, April 14, 2011

New respect for the cows of the world

I went out to help feed the calves tonight. Chad had to go chop wood and Leah's calf hasn't been eating very well. So Leah stayed in with Sarah and I went out to make sure Spots was a good boy. (I went out and fed him at lunch and he didn't seem very interested then.)

As we all walked out with four bottles, the 3 other calves came running up to the gate and stuck out their heads. Their pink tongues were reaching for their dinners long before we got to them. I found Leah's calf behind the shelter.

While I anticipated a bit of a fight to eat (similar to what happens IN the house every night), Spots came right up to me and got down to business. I guess his tummy ache is gone. And then started another fight. Those little cows can really suck on a bottle!

As my fingers started cramping from gripping the bottle so hard, I began to develop a sense of sympathy and respect for the momma cows. I nursed 6 babies. But it wasn't the workout I got tonight! And the head butting that the calves do to the mommas? Rebekah caught one right in the face last night and went to bed with a fat lip. I got one in the chest this afternoon...and that well is dry!

So I had to take a moment to tip my hat to the momma cows of the world. They are tough girls!

No comments:

Post a Comment