Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Candy Challenge Update

It has been 189 days since I joined in on Daniel's challenge to not eat ANY* candy for a year. I have abstained through Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's Day and now Easter and each day in between.

Besides dreaming about accidentally eating a piece of candy, I've only had one slip-up. Some time in November, I was breaking off pieces of a tootsie roll for Sarah while I talked on the phone and I absentmindedly slipped one of the pieces into my mouth. It only took a second to realize that something really good was happening in my mouth! So I walked to the sink and spit it out. It was a teeny, tiny piece of candy, but it still counted.

I would never have guessed I would be able to do this. I haven't lost a single pound to make it feel worthwhile. But I won't give in because I'm supporting Daniel. What is it about a mother's love (I should include "father", too, because Chad joined before I did) that gives me the strength to pass up the candy? Sadly, I can't do it for myself...I've tried enough times to know that (not candy, but eating in general). The only other time I can absolutely walk away from the temptation of food goodies is when I am fasting.

So, this tells me that I CAN walk away. I just WON'T. And that's about as far as I'm going to analyze that!

But my 10-year-old has gone without candy (except for one extenuating circumstance) for 219 days. And this is a candy-magnet kid. I'm proud of him.

The whole purpose of this challenge is that Chad has promised to replace the old sinks in the bathroom if Daniel makes it a whole year. What normal kids cares about that anyway? I only said I'd join him if he made it a month because I was trying to encourage him. I didn't think I would last this long. And he only keeps it up because I make such a big deal about wanting to eat candy. (Which is why I do it.)

So we only have 147 days left...until September 6th. Of course, this would have to include a Leap Year!

*Actually, candy IN something (think chocolate chips) is legal. But candy on the outside (decorations) is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment