Thursday, April 28, 2011

April Fool's 2011

Is it April Fool's or April Fools? I hate to be incorrect, you know. Any hoo..

We had a day full of pranks for the kids. The day landed on the last day of our Spring Break, so I could play with every meal.

The night before, Chad and I prepared for breakfast by wiping food coloring around the insides of the cereal bowls. I tried to use colors that kind of matched the bowl. This meant a lot of yellow, which doesn't show up in milk as well as the other colors. I'll have to remember that for next time!

The prank was kind of a double trick because Rebekah was sure we'd tint the milk in the jug. She was disappointed...until the milk started turning color in her bowl.

Of course, it was morning, and I was not functioning at my best, so the only still picture I got was of Joseph's bowl before he tossed it in the sink. (Yes, we do waste more food than we eat around here. Don't get me started.) You can kind of see the green milk and the remains of food coloring around the bowl.
It was really funny to watch Nathan's face as he thought he noticed something going on in his bowl, but wasn't quite sure.

Up next for lunch was grilled cheese sandwiches.
Or something that looked like grilled cheese.
Actually, it was angel food cake, toasted in the toaster, with frosting tinted to look like cheese as a gooey filling. It was very yummy, but not a good lunch. I did end up serving melted cheese on real bread (keeping with the theme) in an attempt to add some nutrition to the meal.

For dinner, we had some friends over...the Prestwiches. The menu was planned in advance (that morning, I think) and included drinks, pie, and eggs. Those were the tricks. Salad and garlic bread were the normal things.

The drinks were jello.

The pie was meatloaf with potato topping. (The potatoes were tinted with beet puree.)

Dessert was a cup of eggs...or layers of vanilla ice cream, marshmallow creme and a drop of lemon pudding.

It was a fun day. And I was glad to have normal food the next day.

Should I be worried that a day of joking and fooling goes over so easily in this family?

No comments:

Post a Comment