Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Philadelphia, PA - a photo journey



Chad had a chance to attend a steel seminar in Philadelphia this past week and I was lucky enough to go with him. We were even luckier to have my mom watch the kids for us during the 3 nights we were gone. It was almost surreal to be without kids that long. Of course, I only lasted one night before I was dreaming about them!





So while Chad was trying to find his way to his seminar, I was wandering around some hot spots of our country's beginnings. I saw some beautiful architecture and took a tour of Independence Hall. This is where the Declaration of Independence, the Articles of Confederation and the Constitution were all signed. Pretty neat, huh? That chair up front is the ACTUAL chair that George Washington used when he presided over the creation of the Constitution. I don't get really excited about the government and all, but this was cool.

Of course, the Liberty Bell was there, too. It doesn't ring anymore, but whatever bell they've got in the tower now is LOUD!

This video is of a blown glass sculpture by Dale Chihuly named, "Flame of Liberty" in the National Liberty Museum. I am a fan of Chihuly's art and really enjoyed this piece. There is a mirror at the bottom of the "flame" that makes it seem to go on forever - a hope for the future of peace and liberty.



Some other things I enjoyed in the museum were this glass chess set (Jewish vs. Catholic, I think) and this quilt (neither by Chihuly).






This neighborhood is known as Society Hill. It was near our hotel. I thought the old buildings were beautiful. It was strange to think of how old they are and that people are living in them. The neighborhood stunk though. (Maybe they have a drainage problem. It had been raining heavily.)

When Daniel heard we were going somewhere he said he wished he could see what it looked like. I promised him we would take pictures and he specifically requested some statues. Lucky for him, Philadelphia is full of statues. Here are two.











We drove highway 611 and saw some beautiful scenery and very old houses. I loved it! We got to visit my old high school friend and visit a bit.

All in all, it was a nice get-a-way, just in time for my birthday. I'm sure it's the LAST time I will pay over $7 for a bagel and milk!

No comments:

Post a Comment