Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Little Beggars

My kids hate to eat dinner. If we call it dinner, they don't want it. On the other hand, they sustain life on crackers, fruit snacks, granola bars and cookies. I even resort to dried cereal because they think it's snack-like. But with as many snacks as they can consume (it would be all day long if their lives were perfect), I don't waste my money on baggies or my energy on snack bowls.

I taught them long ago to hold out their shirt bottoms so I can pour the snacks right in. The added benefit is that they are using both hands to hold their own snacks and therefore not trying to steal another's stash (Daniel comes to mind about now).

So when they see a box of crackers or cereal, they approach me with their shirt bottoms held out. I think of Oliver in the orphanage asking, "Please, sir. May I have some more?" This is bound to happen in front of a stranger one day. I wonder just how embarrassing that will be.

Now don't think I am constantly feeding them snacks. I am a very mean mother and limit snacks to twice a day (usually) - despite the constant pleas of, "I'm hungry!" beginning each morning, less than 30 mintues after they've abandoned a half eaten bowl of cereal.

No comments:

Post a Comment