Saturday, December 18, 2010

Thanksgiving

For Thanksgiving this year, we stayed home. I am torn about this holiday. I really like visiting with family, but I dread large family gatherings with kids running amok. I have a hard enough time when just my 6 go at it. When other kids join in the mix, and I can't really say anything about it, I just get tense.

Luckily, we had planned to stay home and didn't have to travel on bad roads or deal with the blizzard that came this year.

We raised a turkey and Chad butchered it on Tuesday (when the temps were hovering around 15 degrees) instead of Wednesday (when the temps would be all the way up to 7 degrees). It was twice as warm then!

We invited a ward member over who didn't have a place to go. She added some cheer to our evening!




We also started a new tradition this year. I got the idea online somewhere and put my scrapbooking program to work. This is the cover.


We bought a watercolor sketchbook and I mod podged this to the cover. We put in a copy of our group photo and everyone wrote what they were thankful for, including our guest. I look forward to looking back through this as the kids get older and start bringing "friends" to dinner. :)

Later that night, we went to the home of another ward family and enjoyed some pie while playing a game. One of my favorite things about being in this ward is that everyone is so sincere. And it was completely comfortable to be in the home of someone old enough to be our parents because they treated us like equals!

I hope everyone had a memorable (and pleasant) Thanksgiving celebration!

No comments:

Post a Comment