Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mark This Day

Attention all grandparents and anyone else willing to admit they care:

At approximately 1:30 PM MDT, Joseph went potty in his potty!

We went through two pair of training pants and one pair of regular pants before we got the timing right today.

He started crying when I pulled out the first pair of underwear this morning. I was taking him potty every 15 minutes and bribing him to even sit down with a conversation heart candy.

Since Saturday night, we've had a brand new bag of iced circus cookies (you know...those pink and white ones) on the bathroom counter as a reward for going potty. By Monday, he didn't care about them anymore.

To get him to stay on the potty, I gave him one heart to eat and a book to look at. He sat until the candy was gone and then we'd repeat every quarter hour. The first time I missed him, was at 10:30 when I was cleaning. I saw the clock said 10:33 and decided to finish what I was doing. Two minutes later, he was walking like a seasoned cowboy.

Then I figured I had at least 45 minutes before he'd have to go again. Once more, I waited too long. I think he wet his pants at 48 minutes after.

This time, he'd just woken up from his nap and we went right away. I left him there a little longer while I tended to Sarah. When I came back...TA DA!

I started whooping and hugging and pointing and he started crying. He cried until I said he could have some cookies now. Then his face relaxed, the crying stopped and he said, "Oh." He really enjoyed those cookies! Then he got to flush it down the toilet.

Happy Day!

Now we're back to every 15 minutes...I need to go dig out more training pants.

1 comment: