Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Yeast and Potatoes

Sunday, as most of you know, was Fast Sunday. Fast Sunday always means a very hungry Chad and for some reason, anything I make for dinner seems gourmet. (I need all the help I can get!)

This past Sunday, I was giving him the directions to get some rolls started when he got home from church. (I stay after for choir because although I am released from directing it, the memory of begging more people to join keeps my attendance up.)

I thought I was writing down very good instructions for the rolls. Unfortunately, I must have assumed that Chad could read my mind. I didn't even think to tell him that the yeast in the fridge isn't labeled "yeast" and he opened a new package.

I buy the SAF yeast that's in those big square packages at the grocery store. It's vacuum sealed and expands a bit upon opening...something else Chad didn't know (but does now).

So when I got home, Chad mentioned that there had been a bit of a yeast explosion. We probably lost about a 1/4 cup of yeast (or so). There was still quite a bit on the counter and floor. If I cleaned a little deeper, I'd likely find more.

Today, I was getting potatoes out of the bag to wash for dinner. The potato bag had been sitting on the kitchen floor because we're too lazy to walk it back down to the store room. When I picked the bag up off the counter again, I saw a few little piles of yeast. I was thinking he must have really had a big mess to have gotten this much yeast on this counter, too!

Ahh...now I see! The yeast is IN the potato bag. Wow. He really did lose a lot of yeast!

No comments:

Post a Comment