Thursday, March 18, 2010

Non-Compliant

Joseph has slowly been adding words to his vocabulary. I think we're still under 20. One of his best words - OK...it IS his best word - is "no." It's very clear, he can say it without any trouble and is gifted at using it appropriately.

This is in contrast to "mommy" which is what he says to signal that he wants something (regardless of who is in the room) or when he wants to name the paper bag he's decorating. I think that's what he did. He kept holding up his little bag, pointing to the coloring on it and saying "mommy." He showed everyone his mommy-bag. It's cute, but personally, I wish he'd pick someone else to call repeatedly throughout the day.

But back to "no." Yesterday, he made a developmental leap! He put two words together for the first time (unless you count "no-no-no", which I don't, but it's really cute to hear him saying it to Sarah). Yesterday he started saying, "No way!"

So many possibilities and this is what we get. I can see this being quite fun now. Not only is it NO, it's NO way. Does that mean he can't be persuaded? Is he firm in his decision? Maybe he's just really enjoying talking and it's fun for him to say. I do see a little gleam in his eye. I choose to believe it's an innocent gleam.

1 comment:

  1. CUTE! I wish my kid would say mommy! I am going nuts! I try all day every day and he doesnt even try. He says Daddy and David and kaitlyn in his own way's but never mommy!

    ReplyDelete