Sunday, June 22, 2008

Living the High Life

Aack!!! Summer ATTACK! I have not adjusted to summer well, as my poor blogging record will show. Why are there so many kids here and what are they fighting about now? I have so much I've thought to share, but used my beloved computer time in different pursuits.

I have been scrapbooking for challenges at Sunshine Studios and that takes a bit of time. I'm enjoying the challenge and what I can make of it. I have one other challenge at another website that I've been thinking on for a bit. Here are some pages I've done over the month. They are different sizes depending on how they were saved. (I am much too lazy to go and make them uniform for the blog.)
Click each image for a link to the credits. The 2nd baseball LO is not linked, but the credits are the same.




We were in Sun Valley this past week (pictures to follow at a later date). Chad had an "Engineers Gone Wild" seminar (That's really what they called it. When I think of structural engineers, that's the LAST thing I think of, but maybe they were doing a little play acting.) on Thursday and Friday. He went back and forth to his seminars and I hung around Sun Valley/Ketchum/the condo. It was beautiful weather and we had a good time. I got a little taste of life outside the Mormon world when I went to public places with my 5 kids.

Everyone that made a comment was nice, if not in a bit of shock. Only one person asked if they were all mine, but also complimented the kids on their good behavior. One man in a grocery store mentioned that I had my own sports team. My reply: "But they have to get along before they can be a team!" or something like that

I was in shock myself when I got a peek of the cost of living there in beautiful Sun Valley, ID. Gas was 30 cents more a gallon and milk was a dollar more than I'm straining to pay here. I saw a real estate posting in a window for a 3 bed, 2 bath, 1425 sq. ft. home for $225. We bought our 2600+ sq ft home on 4 acres for $213 and sold our 5 bed, 3 bath, 2800 sq ft home on 1/3 acre for under $170. The streets were narrow and many of them one way. Everything was touristy and it was hard to feel completely at ease. So it was beautiful, but with a cost.

As we headed home and drove past the Sun Valley Airport (which is actually in Hailey) I thought of all the money that flies into the valley in its private jets, private entrances and private accommodations. We had been bowed to and fawned over by doormen and hostesses. I thought it was a waste of their energy, but some people expect that kind of treatment. As nice as it is to have pockets full of money and shiny cars, expensive wardrobes and luxury accommodations, there is something about it that doesn't feel right. This isn't sour grapes here, people. I'm quite sure that there are some people in this world living the high life on less money than we're making. We just don't have any debt (excluding our mortgage on 4 acres).

I'm trying to say that such waste and extravagance seems worldly and is not at all in line with gospel standards. Lifting one's self above another and using such fleeting possessions as a standard is shallow and limiting. On the other hand, finding joy in family relationships, sacrificing for others and using moderation in living is the foundation for lasting happiness.

Now before you set fire to my soapbox, I should confess that I have dreams of a new van. One with a CD player (yes, I'm still popping in tapes), a radio display that works, a rear window wiper that doesn't hang down the back like a sullen puppy dog's tail and 8 seats. There are many things wrong with our van (although the worst thing would be that it doesn't run, which is not a current problem). I would really like one that's only 2 or 3 years old. I also want a new computer (without Vista) so I don't have to spend half my time waiting for things to update, load or open.

I'm not sure I've truly expressed my feelings on the subject of wealth. Let me just say that I was glad to get home to my homemade bread, homemade couch pillows and curtains, Western Family soup, scratched kitchen table, open skies, $3.99/gallon gas, friendly neighbors and friends with more than 2.3 children. I just feel happier.

4 comments:

  1. I love your scrapbook pages!!! I've tried but mine never turn out that good!

    I live in the 2.3 kids world; it must be nice to get to go to a place where larger families are the norm and you don't get stared at all the time. I'm glad you had a good time in Sun Valley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gas still under 4.00/gallon? Wait...you live in Firth...I'm surprised it's that much! :) I hear you with the Vista thing, it drives us crazy! And the wealth thing? I agree, however, I would not mind being filthy rich. That would be a problem that I would love to have. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you speek your mind. I feel the same way with the people that have one child and have to have a 10 bedroom house! I don't care about all the worldly posesions but I do want a nice house and good looking clothing (but I wont pay over $5 for a shirt) I am glad that you got to go on a minni vacation. I also dont like vista verry much. I cant wait for the new windows to come out. I have a computer for sale just so you know. It is going in my yard sale this weekend. $800 really fast and Windows XP. Nothing wrong with it, My husband just likes to build him a new one every couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post, Arlyn!

    I too feel the same way when it comes to money not -so -well -spent. I've never been one to want to be exceedingly rich- just comfortable. But my comfy is probably different then anothers comfy.

    Good job on the LO's! You did GREAT- I really like them all. :)

    Oh- I hope you a newer van soon. Try the public auctions- that's where we got ours. A slammin' deal!

    ReplyDelete