Thursday, June 26, 2008

Lessons in the Garden

Does that sound like the title of a weekly column? Maybe I could get syndication. I'm sure I would have to have more than one story...which I don't have yet. Anyway...

I was in the garden with the kids this morning and we were pulling weeds. I mentioned to the kids that we have weeds because of Adam and Eve. They were interested in that connection! So we recalled the story of the Garden of Eden, Satan convincing Eve to eat the fruit, Adam's transgression (and it's relation to the 2nd Article of Faith), Adam and Eve's expulsion from the garden, their travails with weeds and thorns and the fact that they are really our umpteeth great-grandparents.

It must have been a good story because I had very attentive listeners. About half way through the story Leah exclaimed, "I didn't know THAT!"

Once the story was over, Leah remarked that Jesus is nice to lots of people but he wasn't nice to Adam and Eve "because he kicked them." Then I had to explain that he kicked them out of the garden, but he didn't really KICK them!

3 comments:

  1. Precious Moments where the truths are revealed. And then to hear what they REALLY heard...now that is just precious. :) Good thing she brought that up so you could clarify that for her. Wouldn't want her thinking that God goes around kicking people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you explaine the scriptures when you are gardening! I dont ever think of that. I also don't think my kids would listen! I need to find a way to convince them that they have to pull weeds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Leah cracks me up! First she's "not a hona" and now she thinks God kicked Adam and Eve :)

    ReplyDelete