Friday, July 02, 2010

Pass me a gas mask!

Country living can be quite pleasant. I love it.

I don't love skunks. What are skunks good for, anyway? I'd like to know.

They aren't good for target practice. Read on.

A few nights ago, the dogs alerted us to a problem outside. We found it on the back porch, having a cat food dinner. It had sprayed at something and things were stinky. Later, we saw yellowish spots on the siding of the house. Nice.

We set some traps, but we only caught a bird. Leah liberated it.

Tonight, I heard the dogs at it again so I went to the back door. I'm very grateful our back door has a window! There was the problem again, having more cat food for dinner.

I found Chad (cutting cement board in the garage) and told him the skunk was back. He grabbed the rifle and went out the front door. I rattled the door enough to send the skunk down the deck steps which is where Chad shot it.

Oh, the stench! The smell of (skunk) death! I'm choking. Joseph and Sarah's room must be toxic. It's 77 degrees in the house and we've closed the windows. Now I'm melting, too.

And because of the smell (and the dark, since it was 10:45 PM), Chad decided to wait until morning to do anything about the skunk. So it's on the bottom step, soaking in a pool of blood. We really need to catch them in traps. It's less hazardous.

Lovely. Country living is not all roses and sunsets!

No comments:

Post a Comment