Wednesday, June 30, 2010

For Now

I just finished watching the latest episode of Persons Unknown. It's an NBC mini series and I'm quite fascinated. Of course, they switched the viewing time on me and I missed it on Monday. That's annoying, but at least it's available online to view later (which is what I did this evening). What would I have done 10 years ago? I would have been more than annoyed and out of luck, too.

Chad is working in the bathroom. He's putting up the cement board tonight. Little by little, we're getting this bathroom in shape! And little by little the kids keep coming out of bed. The boys went to Cub Scout Day Camp today. I would expect that at 10 PM they'd be in a deep sleep!

I've been working on cutting out our traditional matching shorts (kids only) to wear with our 4th of July t-shirts. I got the final two pair cut today. The fireworks are in 3 days. I should be sewing...not blogging.

It was HOT, HOT today. All the kids were red in the face at dinner and we had to bring in a stand fan. When I looked at the temp on the thermometer we keep in the back room, it said it was only 84 degrees outside. Good grief! We're going to have to toughen up around here! Or just play in the water a lot.

That reminds me. Sarah played in the baby pool for the first time last week. I scrapped it. Here it is. She's a cute bundle of rolls!

I went to a friend's house to introduce her to the addicting world of digital scrapbooking. She had the program right at her fingertips all along. Now she's on her way to hours and hours of sitting at the computer, letting the creative juices flow. She said her husband will be mad at me now. She may be right! ;)

Joseph is talking more and more each week. Sometimes it seems he comes up with something new each day. He's been saying "Mommy" and "Daddy" for quite a while now. He's picked up a lot of single syllable words. Recently, he's learned how to yell out the window at the dog. With all the other kids doing it, I'm surprised it's taken him this long. But now he gets up on the chair and puts his face right up to the screen and yells, "Maw wee!" (Molly) It's very cute! And this week Joseph finally started calling the older kids by name. Well, only Rebekah actually. He calls her Bocky. It's funny. I think she feels honored. :) Maybe by the end of summer, he'll have names for everyone. Little Sarah is still "Baby" for now.

We are 1/3 through our summer now. This year, the summer seems to be longer than last year. Maybe that's because the sun didn't come out until after the 4th of July last year. And this year we have a lot more to do outside because we have upped the animal count. We did have the lambs and chickens that you should know about already. We incubated some eggs and got a few chicks and then got more from the mill to make the flock big enough. We also have two turkey chicks. They'll be a nice feast in November if we can keep them alive that long. I have pictures of all that, but I'll save that story for another post.

We recently acquired a goat. She was free and we occasionally put her to work on the weeds.

We also took a deep breath and got a horse. Yep. We own a horse. Or she owns us. She's 5 and hasn't been through much training. I guess we're the least qualified to train a horse, but we're trying. We can get on her, with some effort, but she's not really very interested in doing what we want her to. She chases the lambs around the corral sometimes. She's been a bit spoiled, I think. Meet Dandelion. :)

I have a lot more to catch up on, but that's all for now. I need to get up and get something done before bed. It's 10:15. It feels like midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment