Saturday, May 15, 2010

Long Night

The kids slept out in the tent with Chad last night. Sarah and I enjoyed the warmth and comfort of a warm house. Because I am the classic "night owl" and I didn't have to feel guilty about keeping anyone else up, I was still awake at midnight when Chad stumbled into the house with Leah.

My first assumption was that she'd thrown up...again. She'd been running around earlier and did in her sleeping bag. The real problem was that she was suffering from an ear ache and was restless - wiggling and crying and keeping Chad awake.

I gave her some cough medicine (because that was an issue, too) and she said her ear didn't hurt, so I thought she'd be going back outside. Chad didn't think that was a good idea. So I let (talked her into) sleep in the bed with me on "Daddy's side." Ugh. Now I know what Chad meant!

We were up at 1:30 putting warm water in her ear and giving her Motrin. (It's been recalled, but we like to live on the edge. Not to mention they didn't offer any compensation for the $40 of medication in my cupboard. We can't serve the stuff for breakfast or pay any bills with it!) Anyway, I hoped that would end the constant crying and whimpering, tossing and turning that I was having to lie next to. She eventually fell asleep and SNORED! I blame that on the plugged nose.

Then at 2:30, Sarah started crying. When Sarah cries in the middle of the night, Chad gets her. I was cursed - no Chad. I changed her diaper and tried to rock her, but she only tried to nurse. So I put her back into bed and let her scream herself to sleep. Eventually she did.

So I got a little more sleep, wracked with strange dreams, until about 5 or so when Leah started up the tortured sleep again. At 6:30 I sent her downstairs to watch TV and then Sarah woke for the 2nd time.

I just fed her and am headed back to bed. It's 7 AM. I guess Leah will be going to the doctor later this morning. And I hope I get a nap today!

No comments:

Post a Comment