Tuesday, May 25, 2010

ALERT! ALERT! It's no big deal.

I'm trying to get the kids ready to leave the house. You'd think it was Sunday with all the problems we're having.

Anyone know where Joseph's sandals are?

I sat down to feed Sarah real quick and Daniel starts shouting, "It's flooding!!" My first thought is the canal's flooding. Of course, he doesn't offer the info. I have to ask. Nope. Not the canal - the toilet. He comes all the way down the hall to sound the alarm. I tell him to get back in there and start plunging. "But it's flooding!" Yes, and that is why this is a GREAT time to be plunging! Get in there and start plunging.

Then I don't hear anything more.

He comes out from the bathroom and walks into the kitchen. I see the back hems of his pants are wet. Is there water on the floor by the toilet? "Yes." Then get back in there and clean it up!

Wait a minute, Mom. He needs a drink of water. WHAT? You're taking a break to have some refreshment? Did all that water make you thirsty? Are you really thinking there's nothing more for you to do?

When I get in there to check on the clean up progress, I see A LOT of water. He's tracked it from the toilet to the bathroom door...at least 12 feet...across carpet. (WHY in the name of sanitary conditions do people carpet the family bathroom?) And he's now soaking up water with hand towels. When he gets out of the shower, he's 90% drier than the floor is right now and he uses over-sized bath towels for those moments! It's like lighting a single match to roast your hotdog.

I stepped in and demanded bigger towels (which became immediately soaked) until we were nearly out of anything dry. Then I noticed that the little hand towel on the wall was a bit damp. "Did you stop to wash your hands while there was water on the floor?" Silence.

Seriously. Didn't he...? Seriously. *sigh*

2 comments:

  1. UGH! I HATEHATEHATE flooded toilets! So many times I have been tempted to just install an outhouse in the backyard for the kids to use until they learn to STOP PLUGGING MY TOILETS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it Rains it Pours! I hope things stop breaking in your house!

    ReplyDelete