Friday, June 12, 2009

I think I might be losing my mind

I've heard of pregnant brain, but this is getting ridiculous.

Evidence #1: Last week I taught a sewing lesson and before I left the room, I was sure I turned off the iron and sewing machine. (The week before I forgot to turn the machine off and it was on all day until Chad turned it for me that night. I'm now waiting for the light bulb to burn out on me.) When I was up in the sewing room this Wednesday, I got up to turn the iron on. It was already hot! I was trying to think if I had turned it on when we walked in and not remembered.

(I always turn my curling iron on without thinking about it...it's a habit of the routine.)

I don't think I turned that iron that morning. But I was sure it was off when I left the week before. I even remember thinking about it and assuring myself that I had turned it off. Apparently, I left it on. And was on for an entire week. One more comforting thought...the smoke detector in that room is waiting for a new battery...I took it out sometime last year.

Evidence #2: We've been having lots of rain, so I've been turning the automatic sprinklers on or off depending on need. It didn't rain on Monday (or was it Tuesday?) and I got a chance to mow the lawn. I accidentally mowed it shorter than we usually do, so it was looking a little brown. (Don't try to explain to me that the moisture is still in the ground. My brain is not thinking logically at this point.) So I manually set the sprinklers to run the next morning. Then, when they started over again, I was momentarily confused. Oh yeah, now it's 9 AM and they're SUPPOSED to go off. So I went out to shut the computer off again.

So it's off, right? No sprinklers should be going. We left town yesterday (more about that later) and I was certain that the sprinklers would not run. At 9 this morning I heard the pump to the well turn on. Did someone flush the toilet? A glance out the window tells me the sprinklers are the reason.

I don't get it. I can't keep track of things I'm sure are off and turn out to be on. Maybe I left the car running last night. Maybe I forgot to turn off the shower this morning. Maybe I will get an even worse case of this mind loss thing and forget I have 5 children. Maybe the authorities will find me in some warm resort country, on a white beach, reading a book and letting the water lick my toes, while my kids end up wandering the country roads searching for a sandwich at lunchtime. I hope they have the presence of mind to shut the door when they leave. The flies are getting in.

2 comments:

  1. makes me feel a little better about my own preggo brain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA HA!!! I LOVE it! I am not prego anymore and those things are still happening to me.

    ReplyDelete