Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Happy Birthday, Daniel!

Daniel turns 9 today. Officially, it will be at 1:23 pm this afternoon. I'm sure he already feels older this morning.

Daniel's due date was 30 May and I was the doctor's only overdue patient. On Thursday, she set me up for a Saturday induction. That night, Daniel decided to come. (That was also the night a member of the bishopric stopped by and asked Chad and I to teach the Valiant 9 class.)

After some easy and not-so-easy labor, it was decided that Daniel was not really coming out on his own. (Maybe that should have been our first warning of the personality to come.) After 7-8 hours of labor, Daniel was born with relatively little effort on my part. The doctor un-looped the cord from his neck 3 times and handed the 8 lb 13 oz baby over to the nurses. I was always worried that my baby would be ugly and I'd have to love a face "only a mother could love." Fortunately, he was a very cute baby, as have been all his siblings.

And now he's celebrating his 9th birthday!!

He said he wanted a baseball cake (then he said he wanted a robot cake and I steered him back to the baseball one). Here is what I came up with, last night. I'm no professional, but I don't think Daniel will care.


I fashioned the ball and bat from rice krispie treats then covered them in frosting. I got the idea from my sister-in-law's blog...thanks, Andrea! The '9' candle is left over from the year Chad turned 29. That seems like forever ago (he's going to be 36 on Saturday)!

And here are the promised "after" shots.

Daniel blowing out the candles. He took a really long time making a wish. I think the candles were close to piles of wax by the time he put them out. I wonder what he wished for?

Leah posed for this one. I didn't even know she could cross her eyes.
Daniel posed for this one. What is it with my kids?
Daniel went out to fly his space shuttle. It had been raining all day. At least he got a chance to get out there and play for a little bit.


Happy Nine Years Old, Daniel!

1 comment:

  1. Great Cake! I use the rice crispie thing too. Happy Birthday 9 year old!

    ReplyDelete