Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Reading Contest - Update

Do you recall the reading program we started at the beginning of the summer? I'm sure many of you were dying to know how it's going. Well, suffer no more!

I was quite surprised at how quickly the kids got into the competition. Before two weeks were up, both boys had read over 1000 pages. I was thinking that it would be near Thanksgiving before they reached 5000 points and the end of the chart/rewards. I might have been a little off on my estimation.

As of today, all 4 kids have earned their donut (500 pages). Daniel is about 1600 pages and Nathan is around 1500. Of course, that was before we went to the library this afternoon. They read for a long while after we got back. Remember, I have to read books to Rebekah for her pages and Leah only has a few simple books she reads on her own. So, I'm glad Chad is willing to read and sometimes even Nathan steps in.

This is what the chart looks like right now. The stickers are way too big for the spaces, but the kids wanted to keep using them. It looks kind of silly.

In addition to the chart/rewards, there is the most pages read each month trophy. Daniel earned it for May (all of 6 days that it was). He has a tag on the trophy with his name, the month and amount of pages (733). We are halfway through June and the boys are very close in pages for the month. They've both been leaders at some point, but I think Nathan may be ahead so far. I hope he is. He needs to be able to beat Daniel in some things.

The boys aren't as thrilled about the worksheets. I guess that's the difference between having been in school and not. The girls love them. Of course, the boys' pages are lots harder, too.

I've done a bit more scrapbooking. Here are two of them.

The rain is letting up around here. Now it doesn't rain all day long...just here and there. We ended up postponing the Choir picnic until the 27th. I'm hoping that day will work out beautifully.

Our escape artist doggie is still getting out. She earns a spot on the end of the tie down when she gets out. She must really like that cable!

Chad started his new job yesterday. It's quite a change for him and he's still getting used to following someone else's rules. Hopefully, things will seem less foreign before the week is out.

1 comment:

  1. Great chart! I need to do that with my kids. I bought them some workbooks at Sams Club that they love. They are the grade level that they just finished. I figured they needed to review for the summer. There is about 300 pages in each book so they are doing about 5 a day. And they still love them. Good Luck to Chad!

    ReplyDelete