Friday, June 19, 2009

Acclimated

Summer begins on Sunday. We've had some cooler temps and lots of rain, so it hasn't really felt like summer yet. But it has been warm. I think our thermometer even hit a very low 90 several weeks ago. Yesterday, it stayed below 70.

I think it's great, considering I have my own internal heating system for the next 2+ months. I've stopped sleeping under the covers and only grab the sheet after the sun has started to rise. Yesterday, the kids and I were in the grocery store. Like little turtles, they had pulled their arms inside their shirts to conserve heat. I only shook my head as I was near a sweat.

The only things that feel cold to me lately are ice cubes and...well, only ice cubes.

So this morning at 8 AM, the kids were heading outside to play (timing themselves riding bikes or something). I told them to take Joseph and Leah said it was too cold. Rebekah came in and said she needed a jacket. I told her to try shoes first. She did and still needed a jacket. She couldn't find her jacket and wanted to wear her coat. For crying out loud! I checked the thermometer in the bedroom. It said the outside temp was 65 degrees. There are enough reasons to laugh at our family. Wearing a winter coat outside on a day like today won't be one of them.

I remember when there were still patches of slow-melting snow on the ground, the temp was all the way up to 55 and the wind was blowing. No one needed a coat then. They even took Joseph outside with them (when I didn't tell them to). That was only a couple of months ago. I think they've acclimated. Or maybe they need more work to get the blood pumping.

No comments:

Post a Comment