Sunday, May 24, 2009

Joseph doesn't like Nursery

He really doesn't. Last week was his first "legal" week. (He was 18 months on the 13th.) I was in and out of the nursery the first hour. The 2nd hour they just held him. Once they got past singing time, it was snack time and then the lesson and an activity. He was OK once he had food in front of him. (Go figure.)

Today, I was asked to sub. Chad had taken him in because he'd had to chase him down after he escaped the chapel. Joseph was clinging to his Daddy with tight fists! Eventually, he was brave enough to wander and Chad headed on to Sunday School. Joseph returned to me often. When it was time for singing, he wouldn't sit in the chair, wouldn't let me help him with the actions and didn't want me singing in his ear. He spent the 15 minutes with his head on my shoulder.

BUT, snacks were next. He easily sat in his chair for that! I had to wrap my arms around him to keep him the chair for the lesson and eventually I was able to sit back. He did reach back and check that I was close enough once. He was happy enough coloring that I was able to make a quick trip to the bathroom and when I got back, he was entranced by the bubbles the other ladies were blowing. I guess that makes him my Bubble Boy.

This is my worst kid when it comes to transitioning to Nursery. Nathan and Rebekah hardly gave me a wave 'good-bye.' Rebekah and Leah still wish they could go back. I'm hoping that he will soon find some joy in the experience. I don't see myself as a patient parent sitting through nursery just so my kid will stay. I'm not that nice, I guess.


But is this sweet little face really hiding a tantrum-prone and strong-willed little soul?

You'd better believe it!

I told you I'd post some pictures of both afghans when I finished the second one. Here you go. I finished last week.

This is the blessing afghan. It gets used one whole day and then packed away with the dress/suit for 20-ish years.

Here is the Sunday afghan. It gets more use. I was nearly finished when I learned that the baby wasn't a 'he' after all. It's very pale blue, but looks white in the picture. I wasn't about to start over in pink!


(Oops! I photographed it upside-down. Just stand on your head to get a true view.)

3 comments:

  1. I would never know that blanket was for a boy. You did an Awesome job on it! I crochet but nothing like that! Kaitlyn would not go to nursery. It was so hard to go to church knowing what I had to fight. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read about 3 days of your blog and have a serious case of the giggle--my very favorite thing to have!--Can't read more right now, but I WILL BE BACK!

    Hang in there, one of these days your baby will be 35 and living in another state and you'll think "those were the good old days and don't anyone try to bring them back!!!"

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um...you are much nicer nursery mom than I am. The first day that Jonathan started screaming the ladies asked me how long they would like me to let him scream before they come and get me. I said...the whole time. If I go and get him one time, he will scream EVERY time until I go and rescue him. He is one smart cookie. So...they had to hold him the WHOLE time. I could hear him screaming as I am playing the piano in primary. He even broke free banging on the door yelling for me. Good Times. Gooood times.

    They told me that they needed to call another gal just for my kid, so they kept grabbing other gals in the ward to go and help out. If someone held him the whole time he did OK...screaming off and on. Now...three months later, he finally will go in there. He cries a little bit sometimes but he gets over it. Yeah..longest 3 months ever. What a stinker!

    ReplyDelete