Monday, May 04, 2009

I'll probably be ostracized for saying it.

But I'm saying it anyway. It's my blog, right?

I have a little problem with a current tradition that happens after every High School prom. Perhaps it happens in your ward. I'm talking about wearing your dress or tux to church on the Sunday following the dance.

I can't even remember if this happened in my ward while I was growing up. I can't remember if I participated. Maybe someone from my high school and neighborhood can help me remember. Regardless, I'm sure I wouldn't have had the same opinion then that I do now.

I have two reasons why I don't like this practice.

The first one has to do with the idea that there is a lot of vanity in wearing taffeta and yards of lace to partake of the sacrament and participate in gospel discussions. We can read in Isaiah chapter 3 and 2 Nephi chapter 13 to find out what the Lord thinks of such vanity. I don't know how much we're focused on Christ when we're thinking about how beautiful our clothing is, or reliving the magic of the night before. You get my meaning.

The second reason is that I wonder how it makes the girls and guys who either didn't get invited, couldn't find a date or just didn't have the means to go feel to see everyone parading around. It's harsh enough to sit home that night and think that there is a fabulous party going on without you. But everyone is supposed to be equal at church. That is definitely a place that salt shouldn't be poured into the wound!

And the adults like to compliment the kids on their beautiful clothing. That's understandable because they are beautiful. But who is gushing over the modest, humble clothing of the other kids? Is there any gushing going on during the rest of the year?

I don't judge the families of the kids who do wear their prom clothes to church. I understand it's just a fun tradition and a way to get another opportunity to get your money's worth out of an expensive gown. I just think that Sunday worship services aren't the place for the tradition.

What about a fashion show during mutual night? Then the kids that weren't invited or didn't have a fancy dress could find a dress to borrow for the night. Everyone likes to dress up and feel like royalty - even if it's just a Tuesday night with the girls.

It will be an interesting experience to see how this plays out in our family when the kids are old enough to be attending prom. I certainly hope that they get to go. But even if they do, I don't want them wearing their dresses and tuxes to church the next Sunday. Stay tuned for that one. Daniel will be eligible for prom in 2017.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only one to think it's tacky! Not to mention the whole bearing testimony about prom thing that happened in our ward recently. Like it's not enough to wear the outfits, now we have to hear about it all, too. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you did wear your prom dresses to church the next day...taffeta, ruffles, lace and all. And I don't recall you ever being too concerned about anyone's feelings either. Hop down off of you soap box for once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is a lot about me you don't recall.

    Maybe I really should drag out my "soap box." That would be a fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. On the upside, at least their prom clothes were modest enough to serve a dual purpose and be worn to church. After all, if you spend that much money on a dress it is only logical to get more use out of it.

    My dress wouldn't have worked :) Too much shoulder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your blog, Arlyn, I never did like dances anyways, dressing up even less. But the point I like best is considering how the others might feel and the fact that church really isn't the right place for it!
    The only time I really enjoyed dressing up was in the dress your mom made for my wedding!!

    ReplyDelete