Sunday, April 26, 2009

TaVaci at the zoo...how appropriate

Yesterday was the Saturday after Earth Day. That made it the day to officially celebrate Earth Day in the neighboring city. The weather was nice and I'm sure the entire county turned out. I hate crowds.

Leah and Daniel's TaVaci group performs at the zoo every Earth Day. I guess a lot of the kids look forward to going because they get in free. We have a membership and go whenever the kids can talk me into it. (I think we go a lot, they feel zoo-deprived.) So I wasn't looking forward to fighting 30 people to catch a glimpse of the tiger.

Chad and his dad were working on the fence yesterday and would not be taking time out to enjoy such marvelous entertainment. I couldn't imagine the zoo with 5 kids, two of which would be wearing costumes equalling $100.

So I struck up a deal with the kids. Nathan stayed home to be in the house while Joseph napped, Rebekah went with me (because I couldn't talk her out of it) to watch Leah and Daniel perform. Everyone was of the understanding that we would go there, listen, clap, etc., and then double-time it right back out. Rebekah actually lacked a bit of understanding on that but didn't break down when it was time to go. The reward for their sacrifice would be a trip to the zoo one day after school when the crowds would be gone. We're waiting to see what Thursday is like.

So we got to the BIG city park where the zoo is and all the other Earth Day events were being held - ABSOLUTELY NO PARKING. I circled twice, letting Leah and Daniel off after the first trip. (I was hoping they'd be able to make it in on their own. I'm just the right parent for teaching survival skills to my 8 and 5-year-old!)

I eventually made my way out of the park and found parking in an adjoining parking lot belonging to the 4-H people. That parking was actually a little closer than some of the spaces I couldn't get in the park. And the really bad part? We passed that parking lot on our approach to the zoo. "Something" told me to park there. But, NO, I am smarter than the the "something" and thought I could find something closer. When will I ever learn?

So here are some pictures of the incredibly cute singers. The other kids are nice-looking, too. They did a really good job, considering the llama thing next door tried to share a dust storm with them and the bird on the other side tried to drown them out. Their Spring performance is May 16th. That's a Saturday. It's at 4 pm and it's free. It lasts about an hour. Any who would like to come are welcome.














For those of you following the kitten saga, here is a picture from last Monday when there were still two kittens. (I'm in my pajamas, so please focus on the kittens, not me.) The one partly off the towel is the one surviving baby. It's eyes opened yesterday. It seems to have survived the huge DUMPing of snow we got this morning. Each day I find it still breathing, I have a little more hope for it. I may let Leah be the one to name it, should we get that far, because she's been praying for it the most.

1 comment:

  1. The Zoo went really fast for us. The animals did not like the Violins that were after TaVaci. So they were all funny. But we got out within an hour. Well at least you have a one kitten. Our brothers two your momma took off last week! I hope they come back!

    ReplyDelete