Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Envy

I just took 4 bruised and withered apples out to the chickens. As I walked to the coop, all 12 birds came running and met me at the door. The first apple I threw in had all the chickens running after it. I got to do a little chicken bowling with the next 3 apples.

After all 4 apples were in and available, I noticed 11 birds fighting over one apple. The 12th hen was either too smart or just clueless, but she had her own fruit. I looked at the bustle of chickens trying to get to the single apple and thought (for probably the thousandth time), "Dumb birds."

They were all so worried about missing out on what the others had that they didn't even bother with the two apples that were sitting untouched. I know they knew they were there because some of them had pecked at them but eventually couldn't resist the frenzy over the coveted prize.

Then I got a little philosophical. I wonder how many times we can't appreciate our abundance when all we can worry about is what someone else has? I see it so many times in my kids. And I feel it when I walk unexpectedly into a clean house. They didn't know I was coming, so I know they didn't get a chance to clean up first. Why is their house cleaner than mine? (Not a hard thing to do, really.)

I proudly consider myself smarter than a chicken. I hope I act like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment