Monday, January 30, 2012

Creative Writing

The boys have brought home some of their schoolwork over the past few days and I made sure to flip through it all to find the creative writing. I found some interesting things. (I won't be using spell check on this post, due to the developing skills of my budding authors. So, I apologize now for any spelling errors I make!)

This first one is from Nathan. It's even illustrated!


In case you can't enlarge the picture, here is what he wrote:

My snowman is really naughty at night, he quiety climbs over the fence around my yard, goes across the bumpy street and across the long field. Finaly he gets to the park and believe me its wild.

A Night in Monsterville
I ran after my naughty dog into the old and deserted house. "Midnight," I yelled, but there was no one there. then I herd a bark at the far end of the hous. I ran in the diretion of the bark and I was in what must be the living room. "Midnight," I called again. Then I saw the fire come on and then of again. I looked around and saw chairs covered in cloth, suits of armor, and a piano playing by itself. I walked to the end of the room and and opened a creaking door that lead into the kichen. I opened a cupboard and there were half a dozen skeleton shaped cups. Then I herd a noise behind me. I turnned around and saw something walk into another door. I followed it into room after room. It started to walk down the steps but I could keep hearing my dog walking upstairs. Then I remembered, I was looking for my dog not what was downstairs. When I looked back at the stairs, the door had shut. I open the door and instead of seeing it going down the stairs went up. This must lead to the room I heard my dog in. I went up, but there was a dead end. Just then the ground collapsed, and down, down, down I went and hit his bed. "Crazy knightmares" I said in disgust.

My Morning
When I wake up I see the faint shadow of my dad standing over me. Every morning I wake up and get dressed. If I'm lucky, the heater will be on. Once I'm dressed, I go downstairs to the laundry room put on my coat, gloves, hat and maybe a head light By the time I'm ready to go outside, my dad is already pumping water into a bucket. He opeans the gate and I say, "water." It seems that breakd Ice is easier the giving hay to the animals. Now that I have my stick I start the process of breacking ice. "Thud, thud, thud, crack, thud, thud, thud, crack", the sound of hitting the inch-thick ice rings in my ears. Well there goes the first one, Next its time for the other one. Finally, now that the buckets all contain ice water and the hay is given to all the animals, I can go back inside to a nice, cozy, warm, house.

The Day of Snow
The news report said there would be snow in the moring. As soon as I could, I ran downstairs. Then I found my boots, gloves, and hat. Before you knew it, I was running back upstairs to tell my little sisters the good news. After I told them, I told my brothers the wonderful news to. They were pretty excited about the possibility of having a day off from school. My mom was the only one who didn't think that a snow day would be fun. She said that weekdays were the time for her to relax and for us to think. We told her that we would just outside and play, and it would be like we weren't even there.


At the very least, the boys keep me entertained. And who knows, maybe one day they'll break through the mechanics and grammar rules of writing to earn lots of money and make me a mother to an author(s)!

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! My favorite was the "knightmares".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! But, when I first started reading this blog I was not very attentive until I read the caption "A Night in Monsterville." As I read, I became alarmed about Arlyn's mental state, but then I thought that she was too old to be having these kind of nightmares. I expect her nightmares would be about keeping track of 12 feet and 12 hands. Next, I speculated that Arlyn was just trying her hand at fiction writing, but then also dismissed that idea because she would have proofed the writing more thoroughly. Finally, I scrolled back up the page to discover that I had been reading Daniel's writing.

    I am so glad to know that Arlyn is not going nuts and that Daniel has his mom's creative juice.

    ReplyDelete