Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Last summer Blast

I woke up yesterday with a desire to do something extra special with the kids before their summer officially ended. I considered a day trip to Utah, but there really wouldn't be anyone available to play with during the times we would be there. And I wasn't going to spend 6+ hours in the car with 6 kids if it wasn't REALLY worth it.

So I started considering the options locally. Eventually, I asked the kids what they would like to do or where they'd like to go. Nathan suggested Disneyland or Disney World (if Disneyland wouldn't work). For some reason, he thought that would be quicker than driving to Utah. Another popular suggestion was Blast Off. It's little indoor play place about 25 minutes from here. They have rock climbing, laser tag, mini golf, arcade games, pizza, numerous ball pits, a kiddie section (ball pit, dress up and play house) and a human-sized hamster run. (Think McDonald's play place, but WAY better.)

I have avoided going to this place because, truthfully, all I can think of is GERMS! But they wore me down and it was much closer than Disneyland. We arrived at noon; just as it opened. We ate lunch before, so we didn't have to pay for over-priced pizza. For less than $19, all 7 of us played in the ball pits and "hamster run" for two hours.

I was surprised at how affordable the experience felt. The kids were well-behaved and even Sarah had fun! An added bonus was that schools have been starting back up and there were only a few other kids in there. Maybe we can find a time in a few months to go back...when only our school district has the day off!

So this morning, without any previous conversation to spark the comment, Nathan says, "Mommy, if we lived at Blast Off, we'd do scriptures in the ball pit."

To which Leah added, "The main (ball pit)."

I'm so glad to know that living at Blast Off would not pre-empt scripture study!

Enjoy the pictures below. :)


Joseph in the Kiddie area.


I don't know how Leah makes climbing through this thing look graceful.


Joseph diving in!


Sarah really enjoyed the balls! I thought she'd be afraid.


But she didn't even mind when the balls came up over her face!


This was a bit of a stretch for Joseph.
Just before I got this shot, he'd missed the roller and dropped out of sight!



Rebekah was a good helper with Sarah.
This was in the Kiddie area.
And this is one of the last times we saw Sarah's socks.
I think they were lost in the big ball pit!


This little zip line was fun for all the kids.
It was entertaining to see Joseph hold on the whole way down
and then dangle a couple of inches off the floor before letting go.


Oh yeah...that kid is having fun! (Joseph)


And this kid is on the outside, looking in.
Maybe next time, little Sarah!


Joseph struggled quite a bit trying to get over this obstacle.
He finally did, but I don't think he ever went back to that spot.



All six kids in the main ball pit.
Somehow, I just don't think scripture reading
is going to work here.
Hey guys, look for Sarah's socks!

3 comments:

  1. If you have spud harvest the same time we do lets go together! My kids would love to have someone there to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does look like a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are great photos and it looks as if there no other kids there; that beats McDonald's. Dad

    ReplyDelete