Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Plan B

My original plan for the morning involved visiting teaching and leaving the three youngest kids in the van with a movie while I stepped inside the houses briefly. I only planned such a thing because both houses said they were harboring/recovering from illness. It is the last week of the month after all...it's now or never!

Unfortunately, a big wind storm knocked out power to some of the schools and school was cancelled for the entire district. Of course, we didn't learn this until the bus was nearly 20 minutes late, the kids had stood outside in freezing temps for 10 minutes and I called the school to ask.

SO...instead of taking kids with me to sit in the van, I gave Daniel his first official babysitting job. I made sure he knew how to call my cell phone, got a sleeping Sarah into the swing and drove to the first house, 1 minute away. I was there about 10-12 minutes and on to the next house, another minute away. I was there about 20 minutes.

When I got home, all six kids were in my room. Sarah was still in the swing and the rest of them were sitting on my bed watching Sesame Street. I asked Daniel if anyone called. He said no and then said, "You're back? You left already?"

He was babysitting and didn't even know it! I don't think we'll be going on any kid-less dates for a while yet. I probably won't even be leaving the block. But I do look forward to having built-in babysitters...several long years from now.

No comments:

Post a Comment