Saturday, January 26, 2008

Why

I've wondered a few things lately. Sometimes I've really wondered, and sometimes it was really just complaining. Here is a sampling.

Why won't the books stay on the shelf? They are not stepping stones, yet they seem determined to pretend to be. Some books are naughtier than others. No matter where I hide them on the shelves, they are always the ones I'm picking up the next time.

Why do my kids think they are on a 3 foot leash? Every time I turn around, I'm bumping into one. And then I'M the bad guy! Sometimes they think they have to lead, so they rush to get right in my path and slow WAY down. Now I'm mean for pushing them a little faster or bumping them to get around.

Why does my hair get lighter after every baby is born? It's weird for a blond to have lighter roots. I don't know if it's from the drugs, the shock of the surgery, a physical change of having the baby separated, or a mental response to thinking, "That's another one I have to keep alive for the next 18 years." Currently, the "birth mark" is out about 1/2" from my scalp. At least I haven't pulled my hair out yet!

Why does Rebekah ask me "Why" so much?
Rebekah: "Are those Joseph's clothes?"
Me: "Yes."
Rebekah: "Why?"
I truly have no response.

Why do my kids think they deserve so much? Leah has a melt down if she doesn't get exactly what she wants. Nathan goes into "stand off" mode if he isn't satisfied. Daniel starts demolishing anything in his path if he has to do 10 minutes of homework (which IS NOT hard for him) instead of playing after school. Rebekah cries... (OK...she's 2). We try not to indulge the kids. They don't play video games, we don't have cable, we've never been to Disneyland and even only taken them to Lagoon once. We do have a TON of games that we hope will give us more family time. I actually kind of dislike those games because I'm always having to rescue pieces so they will stay in decent, playable condition. So I have no desire to get them out again to actually play.

Why are two of my kids left-handed? I only have 3 writers so far, and 2 of them are "South Paws." Isn't that kind of a high percentage? I think Rebekah is going to be right-handed. It's still uncertain. My Dad is left-handed and so is one of Chad's sisters. I don't care which hand they write with, as long as it isn't on the walls or furniture!

Why does Joseph sleep best when I'm half-awake, listening for him? When I'm conked out, he's ready to play. It's some kind of instinctive cruelty that babies are born with. Leah is still exhibiting some signs of it, even at 4 years old. And on a related topic, HOW do babies know when the person holding them sits down? You stand for half an hour holding them and soothing them to sleep. Just before your arms and back give out, so ever so carefully slip into a chair or couch cushion and POW! you're holding a screaming bundle of baby love.

I have more. But I also have laundry. (Why is there always so much laundry?) I'll leave you to ponder your own "whys".

1 comment:

  1. WHY WHY WHY? I love your questions. I have one lefty and one righty. I hated the WHY stage. And my babies always woke up when I sat down. David would only sleep when we were rocking him. FUNNY

    ReplyDelete