Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Journaling

I mentioned yesterday that I write in a journal every night.  That hasn't always been the case.  I attempted several times in my childhood/youth to keep a journal.  Every start was well-intentioned, but it wasn't long until I fell behind and gave up.

When Chad and I were newly married I thought I would try again with added support.  We bought two small journals and agreed that we'd write at least one sentence each day.

That was in October 2000, and 22 volumes ago.  I have been very good at keeping up.  When we travel, we bring our journals and write in them before bed.  In the few instances that we forgot them, we wrote on notebook paper and added it to the books when we returned.

Even the days my children were born are recorded.  But heavy drugs make focusing and fine motor skills difficult, so the handwriting is a little rough!  I also slipped in and out of sleep during those moments.  Ha ha.

I have missed a handful of times for various reasons, but on nights I knew I would be getting in late, I tried to write before I left.

And now I have quite a collection of memories and weather records from the last 15 years (and four states).


More importantly, I have a record of important events in our lives.  I am often looking back to see when something specific occurred.  I have checked to see when a baby started coughing so I could give the doctor an accurate account.  I've looked to see when we traveled to special places to make scrapbooking more detailed.

All births, blessings, baptisms, ordination, etc. are recorded.

And while most things are boring, there are a few exciting feelings recorded there.  I have written as if writing to a reader, most likely a great-grandchild of some generation.

Chad's journals are also stacking up.  He completes about one volume to my three or four.  He's a man of little words! :)

3 comments:

  1. I love it! That is very impressive. I have dreams of filling volumes of my life, but writing doesn't happen as often as it should. I read Pres. Hunter's biography a couple of years ago - it inspired me a bit more to journal...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, you are a voluminous writer. When will you copy your journal to a digital format?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so awesome, Arlyn. I always want to journal more often, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete