Friday, October 08, 2010

Three long days

I haven't had any candy in 3 days. Three. Long. Days. It all started early last month...

Chad and Daniel were having a conversation while Chad worked on the bathroom. (You may already be aware that we have a year-long bathroom remodeling project underway.) Even though I was in the room, I don't know the details of the conversation they had. But I am quite familiar with the result of the chat. The deal is: if Daniel goes a whole year without eating any candy, Chad will replace the bathroom sinks (there are two).

That was 6 September. That was also the day that we busted open Daniel's pinata. (I haven't blogged about the pinatas yet. There's a little foreshadowing for you.) I thought this would create a bit of a problem, especially since Daniel had been after us for a couple of weeks to do his pinata. I was surprised that he didn't have a problem with not getting to eat any of the candy. He focused instead on the toys.

A couple of days passed and Daniel stayed true. I was so impressed that I told him if he made it a month, I'd join him (part of me was hoping he wouldn't make it). And then the weeks passed. Meanwhile, Chad joined him and left more candy for me. On 5 October, the day before my month was up, I binged on candy! I wanted to get as much as I could and hopefully make myself so sick that I would be glad that I wasn't eating candy anymore. I almost succeeded.

My first day of candy abstinence was difficult. I found other ways to satisfy my sugar craving. Pink marshmallows don't count as candy, do they? The next day was a little easier. Today was tricky, mostly after lunch and dinner. I think my blood is a medium syrup mixture! I know that this will be a good thing for me. Sometimes good things are hard.

Daniel's plan is to stock pile his candy and have pounds of it to himself come next September. Chad and I told him that after going without it for so long, he's probably not going to like it so much. He's already admitted that it's gotten easier. That is encouraging for me!

And what is just three weeks away? The biggest candy day on the calendar. Give me strength.

2 comments:

  1. That is so amazing that he's made it this long! (And you too!) Good luck with that, it really should get easier. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's pretty funny, Arlyn! But cool that Daniel's done it so far. And from personal experience with chocolate, at least, it definitely was easier to abstain than to have just a little. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete