Sunday, October 31, 2010

Not dead yet

Maybe some of you have wondered if (or hoped) I'd died. No such luck. I know my blogging has been MIA. As it turns out, it's kind of busy when you have 6 kids and demanding church callings! But we are still kickin'. (And some of us get in trouble for that...usually right after the bus drops kids off at home.)

We survived Halloween 3 times. There was the school parade, then the school carnival, then the trunk-or-treat. I have been extremely good and didn't eat ANY candy. But I would be a huge fake if I said it wasn't hard. It was REALLY hard last night! Anyway, the costumes all got a good workout. I'll post some pictures later.

It's been a nice, germ-filled week. Sarah started two Sundays ago and is still running her nose and coughing. Joseph joined her shortly after. By now, I'm sipping at the cough medicine. The rest of the kids have some version of the germ. Chad had better watch out; he can't escape this one!

Earlier in the week, I was certain that something was really wrong with Joseph's ears. He was obviously having a hard time hearing me. And by now, you'd think I was used to that happening, but this time was different and I was getting concerned. I called the doctor's office and they said they didn't do hearing tests, but referred me to a hearing center. I made an appointment with them, but later that day I decided to take Joseph in to have them take a look in his ears. As it turned out, he had a nasty double ear infection. Both ears were bright red. NO WONDER! I knew I wasn't imagining a problem. He's been on antibiotics since Wednesday. Now he's back to the regular hearing problems all my kids seem to have.

We gave away our older chickens earlier this week. We collected several of their eggs back in September and got 7 surviving chicks (2 died and 4 didn't hatch). There are some young hens out there now that should start laying in the next few weeks (the chicks we hatched in June).

We lost one of our dogs two weeks ago. I really mean 'lost.' The two of them kept getting out and we couldn't find the spot (of several possibilities) that they were using. During a two-hour span, while I was getting new collars to tie them up until we could plug more holes, they got out again. One reappeared in the pasture...the other never did. So Chocolate may be adopting a new family, or he may be dead...or who knows. We'd had him since before Leah was born. He was finally a good, mellow dog. Now we're stuck with the hyper one that STILL gets out! Where have all her manners gone?

We've been trying to find a new home for our horse. She is too much horse for us. It is unbelievable how many people call and say they want to come see her and then never show or call. It must be around 80%. Some of them want her for cheaper and won't come look unless I agree to drop the price. We're only asking $300 as it is. It's not as if she's 19 years old and only good as a brood mare! Too many people these days have forgotten how to extend some courtesy and want things free or cheaper.

I recently went to the kids' parent/teacher conferences. They are all doing so well. The only thing Rebekah hasn't mastered is cutting on the lines. Leah's percentages were 98, 99 and 100. Nathan was very similar. Daniel's grades got trickier this year, but he's doing well. Mostly A's, a couple of B's and a B- (those science questions in his homework are harder work than he's used to). Everyone is well-behaved and pleasant in class. Now why won't they send those kids home at the end of the day?

We haven't had any more snow than a bit of flurries one night last week. Now that we've had Halloween, tilled the garden and blown out the sprinklers, let it snow! But don't play games with us. I hate the stuff that snows and melts repeatedly until the new year. I don't like mud.

I'll have to get some pictures posted of this and that sometime soon. But I think I'll try for an early bedtime tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment