Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Lagoon 2010

While we were in the area, and because we didn't make it to Disneyland like I'd hoped we would this year (thanks to kids and their unexpected costs), we made a trip to Lagoon. The last time we were here was when Rebekah looked a lot like Sarah...four years ago. That was in our favor, because it was a new experience for practically everyone. And I'm surprised at how much the place change in four years. (I worked at Lagoon the summer I was 16...it has really changed a lot since then...two decades!)

We decided to arrive in the late afternoon and skip the heat of the day. You can see on the kids' faces, they were full of energy and ready to have fun.

I took a picture at the entrance hoping to get a before and after shot. It almost happened.

When we got there around 4 PM or so, we went straight to Pioneer Village and got in line for the log flume. We thought it best to get wet right off and have time to dry again. It was a humid day and the clouds were looking ominous. While waiting in line, the ride broke down (figures, right?). Several people decided they couldn't wait and left the line. This was fortunate for us, because before they could even get all the way through the maze of waiting people, the ride started up again and we saved quite a bit of time in line.

Leah wasn't sure she was up for the adventure of the log flume. Luckily, we know a little bit about her and made her follow through. She doesn't look too sure here. And she was muttering concerns all the way up. After the splash-down, she was converted and wanted to get back in line.


Here are the boys in the gondola ahead of us. I think they were feeling pretty 'big' in a seat of their own!


By the time we got off, it was raining. The line for the log flume was almost down to nothing, so it would have been easy to go again, but we had limited time and a lot to do. And the best thing to do when you're wet is get wet a little more.

The line for Rattlesnake Rapids was the shortest I've ever seen it. I went with the four oldest kids. Chad caught us going under the waterfall. Did I say a little more wet? I'm not sure any part of me was dry. Maybe my ear canals. I love that Nathan appears to be trying to avoid the water.


We got off and convinced Chad to go. By now, there was no line. They were sending empty gondolas through. I stayed with Joseph and at one point, we had to take shelter from the rain. (I was wet, but there was no need for him to have a rain-soaked diaper.)

Once again, there was no avoiding the flood.

From there, we split up. Chad went to the car for our picnic dinner and we hit some rides. The girls look half-drowned!
After dinner, we started a valiant effort to get to as many rides as possible. I was worried that Daniel would be frustrated that he couldn't ride some of the "cool" rides, because of height requirements. He pleasantly surprised me by saying he was glad he was short because he wouldn't be able to ride the rides we were riding!

Here we are on a kiddie ride similar to the Tidal Wave. It didn't go as high. Even Joseph got to ride it.

Chad and Nathan

Rebekah and Daniel -way in the back.
The kids rode some dizzying swings. (Rebekah is that blue shirt behind Daniel.)

This OdySea ride was a fun surprise. I'd never seen it before and was NOT prepared for more water. We were just getting dry! But it was a lot of fun and I was impressed by the catchy song/chant that went along with it. The kids really liked this one.

Thanks to the weather, the huge Ferris wheel was easy to get on (normally the lines are really long). Leah and Joseph were really impressed with the height we rose to.

It was nice to enjoy something slow for a bit.


And the opposite of slow is bumper cars! Rebekah is NOT ready for a driver's license.

This time, Joseph got to 'drive.'

Eventually, it got late enough that the park was closing and we had to pick one last thing to do. Chad took the 4 oldest back to OdySea and Joseph and I found something just for him (I didn't want to get wet anymore). We had to wait for the Carousel ride for a long time because someone before had apparently enjoyed the spinning car a little too much and the employees were in the middle of a clean up and detox of the area. They were very thorough, I must say!

Joseph chose his animal and we enjoyed our last ride at Lagoon.
Our plan was to meet up at the water fountain at the entrance to the park. I thought we'd probably be last because of the time we'd spent waiting for our ride. I saw Chad among the few folks standing around the fountain. There were a couple of boys in there smack dab in the middle of the water, getting pounded in the face with shooting water. I imagined someone was going to have pretty soggy kids on the way home!

When I got closer, I saw that it was Daniel and Nathan. Of course. Why wouldn't it be?

They were really enjoying themselves and other people were really enjoying watching them.

Leah and Rebekah were also there...just not in the center.

It was the last water display of the night and the kid there (you know...the one who stands by and tells you not to run?) offered to turn the water on around us so we could get a picture. I had to delete a couple of pictures to make room for one more. It's a great picture, too bad he wasn't a little better at taking pictures.

And so that had to be our "after" picture. And all the efforts to leave the park dry were undone. The kids rode home in soggy underwear and blankets.

As we got in the van, Daniel said, "When we come back, I'll be 14!" Yes, Daniel, you will. Keep thinking that and all will be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment