Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Murder on my mind

Isn't Halloween the perfect time of year to host a murder mystery? Does the victim have to be fictional? Can I murder Daniel?

I repeatedly told that kid to hurry up and get ready for school so we could work on his Halloween costume.

He said he wanted to be a detective. So we're going this route.

How many of you have patterns for this type of thing? Me neither. I have to start from scratch and needed Daniel to stand still for about 5 minutes so I could fit some fabric around his shoulders. That boy took 20 minutes to do 5 minutes worth of tasks. You think I am exaggerating? I assure you, I am not.

While I stood watching for Daniel and watching for the bus to come, the minutes slipped by. I realized I wasn't going to be fitting Daniel for anything costume related. Prison chains, maybe, but not a detective's cloak for sure.

Then I looked at the rest of the kids outside waiting for the bus. It's 29 degrees out there this morning and they were in jackets. All except for Daniel who had slunk out another door and was standing there in only a long-sleeved t-shirt. Argh!!!

I yelled at him (yes, yelled, and I'm not sorry) to get back in the house and put a jacket on. He came in and just leaned against the couch. By now, my fingers are starting to twitch and my eyes are focusing on his neck. I barked again and he moved to the closet to fish around for a minute. That's when I realized he was just acting a part. An irritated question discovered that both of his jackets are in his school locker!

deep breath This kid does not get it. He has a very expensive TMJ problem that gets worse when his jaw joints get too cold. So not only is he not wearing a hat I stayed up past midnight making one night (though I don't really blame him since it looks a little feminine), he is also not wearing a jacket and it's 29 degrees outside - I may have mentioned that.

You know, I have too many things to worry about that are more important than Halloween costumes. If Daniel isn't going to care about it, why should I? He can go as The Emperor. I'll just explain what "new clothes" are. Maybe he won't get too cold.

2 comments:

  1. I'm a pretty firm believer that if you bring a child into this world, you should be able to take 'em out of it*. . .but I'm not certain it will hold up in court.

    *if it's justified

    ReplyDelete
  2. WEW! Somone feels the same way I do every morning. I am so fed up I want to slap someone.

    ReplyDelete