Wednesday, October 08, 2008

The FREEZE is coming!


So I went out and picked all the tomatoes, peppers (wasn't sure if the freeze would hurt the peppers, but since I was out there...)and one last cantaloupe. This is what I got off of 3 tomato plants. It's mostly from 2 plants since one never really thrived. I still have to go out there and clean off 2 BIG cherry tomato plants. I think this will be the year I learn how to can salsa.


It's kind of ironic that 2 1/2 plants gave us so many tomatoes when 2 years ago, Chad planted 25 plants (not a typo) and we didn't get nearly this many tomatoes. The country must have a magical effect on us. I still have to pick the pumpkins and butternut squash, but they aren't a big rush. We have a lot of corn stalks to decorate with, too!

I just wish there was a way to keep these tomatoes fresh all winter so that I could keep on enjoying my tomato sandwiches for lunch. Speak of lunch...not sure where we're going to eat today since the table is full of the garden.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome garden pickings! I wish I had something comming out of my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we got a total of 10 tomatoes from 4 plants. We did have broccoli from the garden for dinner....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what do you do with the green tomatoes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I better go out and pick all the stuff out of my garden. Oh...Wait...I don't have a garden. I hate gardening. OH well...one less thing I have to do. :) I'll gladly take a jar of your salsa though. I am just that kind of friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are AWESOME for having and keeping up with a garden. :) I've always wanted to do it myself. I've planted a couple of things here and there- but never a garden.

    It's on my lst of things to do before I die....haha

    ReplyDelete