Wednesday, April 02, 2008

April Fools!

We started off the day with yellow milk. It looked a lot like egg nog. I didn't have any though, so I don't know if my eyes would have tricked my tongue on that one. Chad said the kids stared at it for a bit.

Daniel wore his shirt backwards to school, but then I found out later that he turned it back around once he got there. I guess the pressure was too much for him. He's like his mom in that he loves to be the center of attention, but only intentionally. I think he was afraid of being laughed AT.

Chad took the girls to work with him yesterday morning so I could go shopping with just Joseph . I think he played an April Fool's joke on himself and the receptionist with that move. However, I was grateful for his sacrifice. It really did give me a wonderful break. Thank you, Chad!

I was shopping specifically for milk, TaxCut, and ingredients for my April Fool's Day dinner. I spent over $215. Obviously, I didn't shop strictly from my list!!

I went to FamilyFun.com because I remembered they had some good recipes for April Fool's Day a year or so ago. All my recipes for dinner came from their site. I only wish I was so creative!

For dinner, we had green beans, meatloaf, french fries w/ketchup, mini corn dogs and purple milk. The mini corn dogs were not tampered with and were added to the meal to have something somewhat healthy. That tells you a little something of the dinner!














Green Beans












Softened Jolly Rancher Chews expertly shaped into a bean resemblance. I'm sure Chad knew something was up with those right away since I detest green beans and never buy them.

Meatloaf













Essentially, it's chocolate rice crispy treats with bits of dried pineapple and red and green fruit roll ups. By the time I got a chance to put it out, it had cooled considerably and was extremely difficult to slice.

French Fries with ketchup













These are bread sticks cut into 1/4" strips and rolled in sugar before baking. The ketchup is seedless strawberry jam stirred until smooth. I could have used less sugar on these. Daniel decided he preferred real fries to these sugary ones and didn't finish his. I should always expect surprises.

The purple milk was just tainted with food coloring. I have to say, it plays quite a trick on your mind to drink colored milk. I kept expecting to taste a "mixed berry" flavor and Chad even thinks he did! We are weak-minded people! I'm glad cows just make white milk.

Here are some pictures of Rebekah eating the fake food and Leah was showing off her corn dog...another food that should be put into the Fake category.









Here's Joseph thinking he's been pranked, too because everyone else is at least tasting something and all he gets is a germy pacifier!

5 comments:

  1. You are awesome. I wanted to do something for my kids but didn't have the energy after burning/labling 100 TaVaci CD's and Scouts. I may have to keep your ideas in my head for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!

    I love that you did something super fun for your family. These are the memories your jids will remember. Keep up the great work at being the best mommy you can be! YOU ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun 'dinner'. We did purple milk and Steve about lost his dinner at the sight of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a creative april fools day too. It took a lot of work to tell my son that he had to go to school even though it was spring break. I had him going for a while, almost in tears. Warm fuzzies all around here in vancouver. And here you make a fun dinner. Mother of the year award right here. :)

    ReplyDelete