Saturday, July 21, 2007

Only 25 days of summer to go!

I will be so glad when Daniel goes back to school! It is going to be so quiet around here. It's going to be weird in the morning while Nathan is gone, too. The girls will really become better playmates (or stronger enemies).

While I love my oldest son, most fights involve him and it will be nice to have a break. I can't figure out why he can't leave anyone alone. It's apparently in his blood to be obnoxious. Ninety percent of the time, I can end a fight by yelling his name.

And then the next thing I know, he's helping out in a big way and seeming very mature.

He felt like a big kid during his swimming lessons these past two weeks. He was in Level 3 (no more life jackets for anything). I thought I was getting him caught up to his peers, but there were 4th and 5th graders in his class as well as a 1st grader. I guess I won't worry about Nathan still being in Level 1 next summer as a 6 year old.

Daniel was the shortest kid in his class and the only one the instructors had to "catch and release" since he couldn't touch the bottom on his own. He passed, though. I teased him that he must be the shortest person to ever pass Level 3. He even dove off the diving board for the first time. Here is the clip.



Here are some other shots of Daniel in the pool (or about to be in the pool).
About three weeks ago, we started reading scriptures before bed each night. The kids have been really excited about it (thankfully). We're not doing anything fantastic. We read one verse each, with Nathan and Leah repeating their verses after Chad or I read them aloud for them. Daniel has really likes being able to read by himself. Truthfully, we probably wouldn't have started scriptures at all if he couldn't read.
We also have family prayer before bed (and in the mornings when we remember). Leah usually prays that we won't fight or hit or kick or scream. (A little insight into our emotional states.) Nathan still includes B when he lists family members by name. Rebekah has started to say her prayers by her bed. If she does, it's when someone kneels down by her and tells her what to say. Then she says, "uh" for each part. Funny.
I get to teach in Relief Society again tomorrow. I haven't lost nearly as much sleep this month as I did last month. Am I a veteran already or have I just stopped caring? All the same, it will be nice when it's over.
It has been over 90 degrees most of the month. We've been well above our average. I realize that most of my faithful readers will not feel sorry for me as they have been above 100 several times. But many of you have AC and are not pregnant. I am fondly anticipating September!
We still have one ornery cat to give away. Anyone interested?

3 comments:

  1. Way to go with the scripture reading! We definitely need to do better with that. I'm glad Daniel is doing so well in swim lessons.. and don't worry, Jaden is going to be starting level one here soon. He's never even had swim lessons! And, yes, I think we are all looking forward to kids going to school again. I know I am.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that Mom and Dad may need a cat for the farm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still think of Daniel as a sweet little 2 year old. I'm glad he's getting so helpful for you. Maybe one day he'll grow?

    Good job on the scripture reading. It's something we attempt to make a habit of every couple of months- so far we've not found a time that works- or we're not committed enough. Most likely the second one.

    I feel bad for you. I hope you're living in the basement most days. At least it's a little cooler down there right?

    ReplyDelete