Monday, June 07, 2010

Stray Elbows

Ahh...summer is here. And so are the squabbles. My two most active players on the fighting fields are Daniel and Leah. "In one corner..." It's like the characters in stories that you love to HATE. It seems to be much more enjoyable for them to be in a fight, than to cooperatively play with each other.

For the 2nd time this year, I've resorted to the SERVICE punishment. A ways back, Daniel was having a hard time showing kindness to Rebekah and was given the assignment to serve her for the rest of the day. (If he failed in that assignment, it was extended another day until he had it figured out.) The rest of that day was so much nicer and I think Rebekah felt a new sense of "special" from the treatment (in an innocent way). The next day she asked if Daniel still had to serve her! I think it did a lot to restore her bad feelings from the mistreatment she'd received before.

This afternoon Daniel and Leah get to serve each other. I very calmly talked through what the issues were (which was like "pulling teeth") with both of them and decided they needed a good dose of service. If they can't pull it off, we'll continue it tomorrow. Of course, I made sure to explain that this was not servantude! When I thought I had understanding and unwilling acceptance, I sent them back down to play.

At that moment, Daniel brushes by Leah and gives her an elbow shove. So he gets another 45 seconds of "guidance." Then I explained what a referee is to Nathan (we are not a sports-oriented family) and told him he is the referee. If there are complaints from the two probationers, I will be finding him for an objective report. And now I hope to catch a quick nap. (Crossing my fingers that the phone doesn't ring.)

Along the lines of serving, I have a grumble about "other people's children." We have been going to the school for their free summer lunch program. Today is RAINING. I was bringing Sarah in with me under one arm (picture a football), pushing the stroller with the other and coaxing Joseph closer to the doors and out of the rain. (His older siblings left him behind when they went in! Stinkers! Daniel got an earful for that!) Anyway, there is a girl about Daniel's age or possibly older at the door as I lift the stroller up the two steps. As I approach the door, she walks in and the door closes in my face. WHAT??!!?? Has this child never been taught to hold the door? RUDE, rude, rude. Don't think she didn't see me...she did. Grrr! I shifted my load and grabbed the door. Leah was on the other side struggling to get it open (heavy metal door). At least Leah redeems herself a tiny bit from leaving Joseph outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment