Thursday, June 03, 2010

Hey! Who turned out the lights??

It got REALLY quiet this morning about 4:24 (I looked at my cell phone). The power went out. No noise in the house. No light, either. I got up to turn off the baby monitor that was intermittently beeping and flashing because it had lost its connection and hobbled to the bathroom (heel pain is mentioned in posting previous to this one).

The house was dark. The bathroom was even darker because there are no windows. But hey, blind people use the bathroom on a regular basis, I think I can handle this moment.

And then I was awake enough to start thinking. (This is bad when it's only 4:30 in the morning.) The power going out is rather inconvenient on several levels. For one, I don't know why it's out or how long it will be until it's back on. We have a well. The pump runs on electricity. No power = no water. Second, Sarah's very loud air purifier is now off. Is she going to wake up? Third, we have been incubating 3 dozen chicken eggs since last Monday. They really should stay warm. Fourth, if the power stays out a long time, the kids are going to raise my worry notch one space every time they open the fridge. And they will be awake before me, so I really couldn't warn them. Fifth, will Chad sleep in too late without an alarm? Sixth, today is the start of the Stake Youth Trek. I figured there were people who needed to be getting up and getting ready to meet at the church (I assume they were getting an early start to head out to the wilderness somewhere). I'm pretty sure all those teenage girls were hoping for one last morning of electricity before roughing it three days. I guess their experience just started a little early. And seventh, what about all those folks who need electricity for health reasons? I hope they have a back-up power supply!

I looked out the window and tried to see how far the power outage spread. It could see lights in the distance. I don't know if those were on generators (lights on top of high towers), so I really don't know how far it went.

Obviously, it came back on...I'm on the computer. It came back at 6:30. I heard the whole house come alive. I don't know how cold the eggs got; I hope not too cold. Chad's alarm ended up going off after all. It has a battery in it and that apparently keeps on top of that kind of thing. Who knew? I'll be seeing a lot of friends at the school for free lunch today, so I'll ask around.

Do you see how easily I am upended? I lost some good sleep over this power outage!

2 comments:

  1. I do the exact same thing when the power goes out! I worry about everyone and everything! I hope your eggs are all right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete