Tuesday, February 13, 2007

School Lunch

Chad and I went to Daniel's school to eat lunch with him then join with other parents from his class to meet with the Principal and discuss grown-up things (school policies, district growth, our experiences with the teacher, etc.).

We had to send in our lunch money in advance - double the cost of student lunch fees. When you pay double, you expect to get double. Sometimes you don't get what you expect. Maybe it's just as well. It was mac and cheese (I took a bite, then looked for salt and pepper shakers. I didn't expect to see any and wasn't disappointed.), mini corn dogs, peas (I was glad to discover that they were HOT.), apple crisp and a choice of milk. The milk was delicious. Actually, the apple crisp was good, too. I could have handled a double portion of that. (It's probably best I didn't get it.) I think I may have gotten one extra mini corn dog. That's likely the one that I've been burping up since lunchtime.

Then we put our trays away where I was thoroughly disgusted by a huge garbage can of "leftovers" and was amazed that Daniel doesn't come home from school just covered in splattered food. There was more than enough of it flying as he banged his tray to dislodge very stuck macaroni noodles.

From there Daniel went to recess and we went to the Principal's Office. This office is much larger than I would have expected. It's really just an office with an attached conference room, minus the wall. There were 4 students represented in the room. Could this have anything to do with the fact that the teacher sent the notice home a day after it was supposed to be returned with the lunch money? Coincidentally, I learned that I'm not the only one frustrated with the teacher's seeming inability to communicate with the parents. I'm glad to know that my notes are phone calls aren't the only ones being ignored!

It was a long meeting, dominated by one very "concerned" (translated = outspoken) parent. Of course, I didn't stay completely silent, but had to fight for a chance to speak. I'm glad we went, if just to be a little more informed.

I could have done without that last mini corn dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment