Saturday, January 06, 2007

Reading Homework

When Daniel came home from school yesterday, I was trying to use time efficiently and get his reading homework done right away. Just my luck...the book was 16 pages long. A mere pamphlet for established readers, but equivalent to the Old Testament for a first grader! It took almost 30 minutes to read through it the first time. Ugh.

I don't remember the ugly details of the days I was learning to read. I know Dick and Jane saw Spot run a lot. Now the kids are reading words like admitted, whimpered, hamburger and Barbara (yes, all of those words were in his homework this week). So it's a sneaky form of torture for the reader and the readee (try finding that word in your dictionary).

It's probably really entertaining to watch Daniel when he's doing his homework. I admit that I've surpressed a few giggles myself. My favorite is the time he actually wriggled, twisted, and slid his way into an upside-down-standing-on-his-head position. (I am NOT exaggerating.) At that point I had to stop the insanity and get him upright before I let him continue. Half the time he's sideways and still moving. Is this a boy thing? Do they have seatbelts in first grade? I haven't actually seen any but maybe the teachers only pull them out in extreme emergencies.

How long before he's so still at his desk you wonder if he's even awake (and then discover that he isn't after all)?

No comments:

Post a Comment