Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Critic's Corner

New television shows are coming on scene and old favorites are returning. I don't watch a ton of TV, but I do have some I enjoy quite a bit. Some I watch just because my first choices aren't available or because I can't stand reruns. And then there are a lot of shows (most of them really) that are so bad, it's better to just turn the box off.

Last week we watched Jay Leno's new show. I think we caught every night, but might have missed one. It was a little disappointing. It really is just like watching the Tonight Show, with a few minor tweeks. I'd love to see more "Jay Walking" and "Headlines", etc. and less interviews. I know it's too much to expect him to get cleaner acts. I don't know why some things are so funny to people. For example, that Dan guy who did the bit at the car wash? He's very talented; he's funny, sings well and performs well. But he's dirty and crass. That really took a lot away from his performance. And the "Uninvited Guest" (what's his name) was a little hard to listen to. I don't even understand the title of the segment. He's obviously invited.

But the reason for this whole post is last night's viewing. My favorite show is NCIS. I feel like I miss it a lot, but strangely catch all the reruns of what I have seen. And the fact that it's on at 7 PM makes it really hard to catch. That's when we're putting our kids to bed! So I was looking forward to last night and a new episode. Sarah and I retreated to the bedroom just before 7. It was just as good as always. The humor is great and the character chemistry is perfect.

I don't watch TV (or movies) because of "hunky" actors and besides Mark Harmon, I probably couldn't give you the names of the actors on the show. But I know their character names and personalities.

There has long been hype of the new spin off: NCIS Los Angeles. I was skeptical as most spin offs just aren't as good. And I am very loyal to my NCIS. My impression of the show? Not as good. It seems like too much "gadgetry" (is that a word?) and hi-tech special effects and not enough connection between the actors. And there are so many people in it! The conference room was always crammed with people. I wasn't sure who was who and why they were supposed to be so important to even be there.

The acting was not as good as NCIS with the exception of LL Cool J. He's pretty believable. The short lady (Kindergarten Cop...but don't know her name) was good, too. I guess I just have a hard time placing her in the roll. Chris O'Donnell needs to lose some "boyishness". But I have to say, I learned yesterday that he has 5 kids (with the same woman - his WIFE even) and I'm VERY impressed!

The story line was good though. I think they just need to get better at acting (though I'm no revered critic) and quit using so much fancy technology (or at least, quit making it so obvious). That's the opinion of a conservative, 30-40 year old, white woman of middle class.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited - I hadn't realized NCIS was back with the new season. What did they do with Ziva?

    ReplyDelete